PDA

View Full Version : New to web design!

joshclark24
06-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi guys,

As a more print based graphic designer im just trying to get to grips with building my own website, pretty much just an online portfolio. Ive seen a site that i like, and to me it looks very simple to do, but ive tried to do something similar but just cant get it right!

heres the site url if you guys to take a look at it for me
http://www.junkohanhero.com/

basically i just want one big image and then several links on the side, my problem is i need the image to fill the browser.

ive been using photoshop to slice the i image up, but im not sure if thats the right thing to do for this type of site.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

domedia
06-30-2009, 03:17 PM
The background image never needs to be sliced in any way. I guess just make the background image large enough to compensate for larger resolutions.

Corrosive
06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi guys,

As a more print based graphic designer im just trying to get to grips with building my own website, pretty much just an online portfolio. Ive seen a site that i like, and to me it looks very simple to do, but ive tried to do something similar but just cant get it right!

heres the site url if you guys to take a look at it for me
http://www.junkohanhero.com/

basically i just want one big image and then several links on the side, my problem is i need the image to fill the browser.

ive been using photoshop to slice the i image up, but im not sure if thats the right thing to do for this type of site.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

That site is just a bloody big image with image maps as links. Not much for Search Engines to feed on.

joshclark24
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Thats cool, is it best to make a css style for the background image? would i then just slice say my logo and my links and then import those into the dreamweaver file? ha sorry for the novice question, but whats an image map? cheers!

domedia
06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Thats cool, is it best to make a css style for the background image? Yes if you need it.
would i then just slice say my logo and my links and then import those into the dreamweaver file? Yes
ha sorry for the novice question, but whats an image map? cheers! If you view source on the website you posted, you'll see them. It's a way of adding links on top of images.