PDA

View Full Version : Old dog, new tricks? Drop-down menus, Java and CSS

ThumperGT
06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm probably too old now to be learning new tricks, but seems I'm going to have to.

I'm still using MX. OK, so I need to update that for starters, but can't afford to at the moment (although Spry sounds dire - is it?). However, I need to create a drop-down menu system for a new site I'm creating for a long-standing customer. Trouble is, I notice that with all the latest browsers, any use of Java prompts a warning bar about scripts and ActiveX controls, and visitors have to 'allow' the blocked content. That's a pain, and will likely put off a lot of people - my client included.

How do I get round that? Do I have to invest in plug-in extension software, like Vista-Windows or PureCSS (or any one of dozens of others), or can I do it myself using CSS alone.

When I started in this game we were still using hot lead. How times have changed.

Corrosive
06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm probably too old now to be learning new tricks, but seems I'm going to have to.

You're never too old for new tricks. In fact the older the better because you can approach learning with patience and a wider background knowledge IMO. The 'teens and twenty-somethings' who come here chuck a wobbly if they (god forbid) actually have to read anything or don't have it up and running in half an hour! We get 'is there a youtube tutorial?' quite a lot!!

I'm still using MX. OK, so I need to update that for starters, but can't afford to at the moment

I'd disagree that you need to update. It's just if you want to. You can build a perfectly good website with MX and I still use it.

(although Spry sounds dire - is it?).

Have a look at our Spry board and make your own mind up :wink:

However, I need to create a drop-down menu system for a new site I'm creating for a long-standing customer. Trouble is, I notice that with all the latest browsers, any use of Java prompts a warning bar about scripts and ActiveX controls, and visitors have to 'allow' the blocked content. That's a pain, and will likely put off a lot of people - my client included.

How do I get round that? Do I have to invest in plug-in extension software, like Vista-Windows or PureCSS (or any one of dozens of others), or can I do it myself using CSS alone.

the active x controls shouldn't pop up if you venture into javascript and the website is live. It will, however, pop up if you are viewing the site locally (F12 in DW). There are numerous options for dropdown menus with both javascript and pure CSS. Have a Google for 'pure css drop down menus' and see what you get. Just remember to check what you have cross-browser before you release.

Let us know how you get on :)

When I started in this game we were still using hot lead. How times have changed.

I threaten to get my old Amstrad 'green screen' word processor out daily. I never do but I'd happily resort to type-setting if clients would pay me to do it.

Corrosive
06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the forum btw. You can learn a lot here.

ThumperGT
06-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the quick response Corrosive, and the advice. I'm pleased to think I can struggle on with MX for a while longer, or until the finances improve.

I'm sure you're right about the pop-up issue. I rarely if ever encounter it when I'm browsing (currently using Chrome mostly, but also Firefox, and less and less often IE8, just to verify) but it always appears when I use F12. I'll try Googling for pure CSS. I hesitate to ask on a public forum, but are any of the extension software programs worth trying?

OK, so I'll press on with my current Java/CSS-based attempt and see how it goes. I'll also dust off my hot wax roller, put a fresh blade in my scalpel and reminisce about the good old days . . . although put in that way, it sounds more like tools for a beauty parlour.

Corrosive
06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm sure you're right about the pop-up issue. I rarely if ever encounter it when I'm browsing (currently using Chrome mostly, but also Firefox, and less and less often IE8, just to verify) but it always appears when I use F12.

That'll be it then. You can insert some code/'mark of the web' to prevent this when you F12 but, you could also live with it :wink:

I'll try Googling for pure CSS. I hesitate to ask on a public forum, but are any of the extension software programs worth trying?

Not sure but I can rcommend two javascript frameworks to have a look at. Try JQuery and Moo tools. They have developers building 'plug n play' applications for free all the time. There are some good menus (amongst other things).

I'll also dust off my hot wax roller, put a fresh blade in my scalpel and reminisce about the good old days . . . although put in that way, it sounds more like tools for a beauty parlour.

Yes, it does rather...we'll let is pass :wink:

ThumperGT
09-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Just been checking my Google analytics and notice a surprising amount of traffic coming from here, so thanks to everyone who popped in to view the site.

I took all your advice, Corrosive, and got the drop-down menus to work. I've now got a major task in transferring many, many pages from the team's former (pre-Mazda) site to the new one. Now they want an on-line shop, so it's off to do some more experimenting.

Corrosive
09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Good luck. You know where we are if you need us :)