PDA

View Full Version : div tags and layout with css

aicrag11
06-29-2009, 07:31 AM
hi guys, i am using dw for the first time and am building a site for a friend...now i have a css document and have the:
body
#wrapper
#header
#MainContent
#sidebar and
#footer...(the last four are div tags)
now i have this saved as my main layout.css..and created a template so that i can have all 7 pages the same..problem is i dont know how to add content to each individual page without messing up the main layout.css. When i want to add content or images say to my 'index page' it adds those changes to every file created from my template. so how can i get around it? i tried to create a new css rule and save it to "this document only", but when im done creating the rule it says something like " you do not have permission to change these files....your changes will be discarded" not exactly word for word but something along those lines...
p.s. know of any great video tuts on dw because im so lost!
i am not a handcoder YET!!!

Corrosive
06-29-2009, 08:31 AM
hi guys, i am using dw for the first time and am building a site for a friend...now i have a css document and have the:
body
#wrapper
#header
#MainContent
#sidebar and
#footer...(the last four are div tags)
now i have this saved as my main layout.css..and created a template so that i can have all 7 pages the same..problem is i dont know how to add content to each individual page without messing up the main layout.css. When i want to add content or images say to my 'index page' it adds those changes to every file created from my template. so how can i get around it? i tried to create a new css rule and save it to "this document only", but when im done creating the rule it says something like " you do not have permission to change these files....your changes will be discarded" not exactly word for word but something along those lines...
p.s. know of any great video tuts on dw because im so lost!
i am not a handcoder YET!!!

You can create new pages pages based on your templates, add editable regions where you want your new pages to have unique content and then update there. Read this...

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

...It might help.

aicrag11
06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
got it thanks a bunch!!!!

kremo5le
06-29-2009, 11:06 PM
got it thanks a bunch!!!!

Depending on the situation you could also use SPAN tags. However, individual CSS classes will work always better and quicker.

Good luck,

k.