PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in two areas..

rhythmofthecosmos
06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone,

Am slowly learning dreamweaver and come into two problems..

I have nearly finished the main page/ template but my concern is the size required for viewing in different browsers is not correct or that I have not set it up properly. I understand that it's 1280px x 710px. How do I set this up? My design view works ok but I know that it is the code that counts and that's were I lack skills.

My other question is I have made a banner which goes across the top (header part).. that's done with all working links etc... Now I have a column on the right hand side of my page, this just gives extra links and such. There is also a part in the section under the heading latest blog and latest photos...

In this part my aim is to write my blog on a different page and upload photos on my photography page and hopefully this will update automatically on my main page.

My main page is basically a template that I will use throughout my site for other pages, it is only the left part below the header that will change with content regarding what particular page this is..

Is it possible to do this rather than going the hard route and changing everything one by one?

Thanks for anyone kind enough to reply :)

rhythmofthecosmos
06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
sorry just read the read before posting, as you can tell I did not.. sorry about the title.

rhythmofthecosmos
06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
hi,

A friend has just emailed me this http://www.entheosweb.com/website_design/advanced_web_design.asp

So that's question 1 sorted..

DWcourse
06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
The principal is correct but the article is dated. It discusses designing using tables rather than divs (which is the current best practice). Also, ironically, the page that article is on doesn't resize very gracefully at smaller screen resolutions.

rhythmofthecosmos
06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Awww man :(

rhythmofthecosmos
06-24-2009, 06:21 PM
am guessing it is not as simple as using 100% rather than pixels in dreamweaver right?

Corrosive
06-24-2009, 07:43 PM
am guessing it is not as simple as using 100% rather than pixels in dreamweaver right?

It is about using % widths on your divs but you need to understand all that entails as well.

DWcourse
06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Do you have CS3 or CS4? The built-in "elastic" layouts are a good place to start.

rhythmofthecosmos
06-24-2009, 07:58 PM
DW 8

Av actually found a css template within dreamweaver that seems to have this fluid web design build into it. I have tested it out at a few dimensions and it readjusts so am happy :)

The layout is quite similar and has a more professional feel so am just adjusting that now :)

Thanks