PDA

View Full Version : How to copy content from one page to another

bandolin
06-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm having problems copying the content of one page into another. My entire site has been built. Meaning all the pages are in their proper place. However, only one page is complete. I'm using a layout table with navigation bar, background images and so forth.

Yet, when I copy paste the table from my complete page to a blank page to use as a starting point, all the images and links are lost. I have to manually relink all the files which is long and tedious.

There must be a way to use the exact content from one page and transfer it onto another without losing any of linking.

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm having problems copying the content of one page into another. My entire site has been built. Meaning all the pages are in their proper place. However, only one page is complete. I'm using a layout table with navigation bar, background images and so forth.

Yet, when I copy paste the table from my complete page to a blank page to use as a starting point, all the images and links are lost. I have to manually relink all the files which is long and tedious.

There must be a way to use the exact content from one page and transfer it onto another without losing any of linking.

Use DW Template system for your pages. Notes in the manual and help files and a tutorial here...

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

bandolin
06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I've tried the template system but what happens when I create the editable blocks is that it sometimes changes the size of my table cells and completely throws the design out of whack.

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I've tried the template system but what happens when I create the editable blocks is that it sometimes changes the size of my table cells and completely throws the design out of whack.

Yes, it will do in Design View. In the browser it will be fine. Just something you have to live with I'm afraid. I explain all this in the tutorial. Go and read it!

Also...don't use tables for layout...they suck.

bandolin
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Also...don't use tables for layout...they suck.

What should I be using? The site is 700 px wide and I want it to remain in the center of the web browser. So, absolute positioning divs are not the way to go. So, I chose AP Layout Tables.

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 06:21 PM
What should I be using? The site is 700 px wide and I want it to remain in the center of the web browser. So, absolute positioning divs are not the way to go. So, I chose AP Layout Tables.

Use relative positioning and div tags

'nother tutorial to read...

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.php

bandolin
06-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Alright, I'll give that a go. Thank you. And you were right about the templates thing. It works fine in the browser. Adobe needs to find a way to make it look the same in design view. It is really disconcerting.

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Alright, I'll give that a go. Thank you. And you were right about the templates thing. It works fine in the browser. Adobe needs to find a way to make it look the same in design view. It is really disconcerting.

Aye, it is disconcerting for a noobie, I'd agree. You won't care about design view for long though so don't worry too much about it :)

DWcourse
06-23-2009, 09:29 PM
It works fine in the browser. Adobe needs to find a way to make it look the same in design view. It is really disconcerting.
Nobody will create a design view that truly matches the browser until all browsers match each other. So, you should test in multiple browsers and operating systems not just the one you happen to have installed.

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 09:34 PM
So, you should test in multiple browsers and operating systems not just the one you happen to have installed.

Wise words DWCourse.