PDA

View Full Version : Marquee help!

peterkim
06-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Hello there all you helpful people,
I have been struggling with the marquee (scrolling text) for a while. I have a marquee up and running with the text I want, but it's the little setting that I need help with.
I would like to make the scrolling to be delayed at the start, but in the middle of the scroll as well. The hard part is, the timing of the stopping would be different. I mean that if you think the text as three different parts, and each part has different length so I want the scrolling to stop depends on the beginning of the next part of the text rather than depending on the timing of the scrolling, is there a way I can make them scroll the way i want, with sopme delay so people will have a chance to read through before it scrolls again?
Also I want it to stop when the mouse pointer is over, and manually scroll up and down with the mouse..
I know i am asking a lot, any help will be welcomed. If there is a thread which might help me, please feel free to direct me.

Many thanks

PK

rico1931
06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
BAD! DEATH TO THE MARQUEE!!!.....http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#marquee

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 06:14 AM
BAD! DEATH TO THE MARQUEE!!!.....http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#marquee

I have to agree with Rico. Marquee is horrible/terrible/outdated. If you have info you want a customer/user to read then why have it scrolling like a 1980's LED notice board or a Windows 95 screen saver? Just put the info in static text like normal people.... Just my two cents worth :wink:

peterkim
06-23-2009, 08:17 AM
You know what, I agree with you guys, I think it looks horrid and outdated, but my company wants it as an option and I was experimenting it. So is there any way you can have a 'slow auto scroll text which stops where you want it', or is the whole idea just a no-no any more? I have seen some of these options on other websites and they looked pretty good.. Again, any comment/help/advice much appreciated.

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
You know what, I agree with you guys, I think it looks horrid and outdated, but my company wants it as an option and I was experimenting it. So is there any way you can have a 'slow auto scroll text which stops where you want it', or is the whole idea just a no-no any more? I have seen some of these options on other websites and they looked pretty good.. Again, any comment/help/advice much appreciated.

Ha ha, OK, lecture over! How are you producing your marquee effect at the moment? There might well be some javascript options for doing this. Try Googling 'control marquee with javascript'. I just have and got a few ideas up so I suggest you do that and wade through until you find something suitable.

peterkim
06-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Ha ha, OK, lecture over! How are you producing your marquee effect at the moment? There might well be some javascript options for doing this. Try Googling 'control marquee with javascript'. I just have and got a few ideas up so I suggest you do that and wade through until you find something suitable.

I am not a developer, and never have dealt with javascript before. I am controlling the marquee within html codes trial-and-error to see if it gets any better.. Thing is, if I can't make it stop for each text the way I want it and get delayed by time I want it, it will just be a constant scrolling box which is pointless..
Thanks for your help, keep them coming http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I am not a developer, and never have dealt with javascript before. I am controlling the marquee within html codes trial-and-error to see if it gets any better.. Thing is, if I can't make it stop for each text the way I want it and get delayed by time I want it, it will just be a constant scrolling box which is pointless..
Thanks for your help, keep them coming http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

I wasn't a developer when I first used javascript. Get stuck in! Also, <marquee> tags deprecated some time ago so you will not have support for this method in future browsers anyway. Either find a js method or knock it on the head.

peterkim
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I wasn't a developer when I first used javascript. Get stuck in! Also, <marquee> tags deprecated some time ago so you will not have support for this method in future browsers anyway. Either find a js method or knock it on the head.

Ok, I guess learning JS isn't going to hurt, just can't spare any time.. I can't seem to make the marquee smooth and soft, I guess you are right about extint option which will not be supported properly.

So is there any other way to have an auto-scrolling text? Or no one wants to use it any more.. Thanks for all your help corrosive.

Corrosive
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
So is there any other way to have an auto-scrolling text? Or no one wants to use it any more.. Thanks for all your help corrosive.

No, just javascript AFAIK. You don't really need to 'learn' javascript to do this. Look at one of the frameworks with plug-ins such as jquery or moo tools.

peterkim
06-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Ok, I think I have found something that I like and I will try to make some changes. But, don't laugh, what is the next step linking the .js and the .html codes? Will I need to add an extension to my DW, I saw some advice by adding .js as a separate insertion by linking it, or 'stick it between the <head> </head>'? I would have thought there is an easy way to almost 'copy and paste' the codes, treating it like a div with a css for the conditioning it? Am I being stupid here?

Corrosive
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Ok, I think I have found something that I like and I will try to make some changes. But, don't laugh, what is the next step linking the .js and the .html codes? Will I need to add an extension to my DW, I saw some advice by adding .js as a separate insertion by linking it, or 'stick it between the <head> </head>'? I would have thought there is an easy way to almost 'copy and paste' the codes, treating it like a div with a css for the conditioning it? Am I being stupid here?

No, not stupid at all. Have you got a link to the js you are going to use, i.e. where you downloaded it from?? I'll give you a hand then.

peterkim
06-25-2009, 02:16 PM
No, not stupid at all. Have you got a link to the js you are going to use, i.e. where you downloaded it from?? I'll give you a hand then.
He has it up as a .zip file and a few examples. To be honest I don't really know what I am looking at, I can see which part might be the one I want..

http://www.softcomplex.com/products/tigra_scroller/download.html

The example of that I kind of want is
http://www.softcomplex.com/products/tigra_scroller/demo1.html

The box on top but a lot slower and smoother, with some images and links..;-)
Thanks

wayne78
06-27-2009, 02:25 AM
you could try dynamicdrive.com this has some scripts you can borrow and edit for free..

peterkim
06-29-2009, 03:26 PM
you could try dynamicdrive.com this has some scripts you can borrow and edit for free..

Brilliant, I will have a go with those. Thanks for that.