PDA

View Full Version : is my portfolio good enough to get a job?

silverglade
06-21-2009, 06:33 PM
hi, i still have to do 6 live websites for people, but excluding that, i was wondering if you think my portfolio is good enough to get a job? and if not, what specifically do i have to do to make my portfolio good enough to get hired? any help GREATLY appreciated. thank you. derek

here is my mockup portfolio

http://derekvanderven.com/websites3.html

Rob_Che
06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Ask yourself what is 'good enough' ?

There are some terrible web designers out there making money...
_Could you make some money designing sites for people, probably.
_Are you ready to be employed by a company, I would say not.

Your sites are very simplistic (there is nothing wrong with this but doesn't showcase any 'skills') - I know I've said this a few times now but rather than building 20 sites covering all trades and types of business, why not build a couple of really well thought out scalable sites? it's the build that is important not the choice of stock images.

Look at some of the templates on this site and look at how they're built. A background image and 2 divs they are not. I think, now that you have a bit of CSS knowledge you should maybe do some tutorials on what it takes to build a liquid page etc...

I think a client would rather see a couple of completed sites than a ready made template with lorem ipsum text.

Just my opinion Derek.

silverglade
06-23-2009, 07:49 PM
thanks. i just took some pictures for my first client today. i will try to make that the best site i have, because its my first "live" site instead of those mockups. i want to have at least 6 live sites, then go to employers with my mockup sites and 6 live sites. and if they say no, i will ask why , and then work on the reasons of why i wasn't hired, because really it is the employer's opinion im really looking for, i guess i should have thought about that before. thanks for your input. derek

Rob_Che
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Employers aren't concerned with the money you've made before on 'live' sites - they look for technical experties. Try to get your sites to validate too, valid (and semantically correct) code is becoming increasingly desirable to employers.

Here's what to think about for example...
If you design a two column layout and need to add further content later down the line will this be a case of pasting in the new content or changing the css to accomodate it? At the moment, adding content to your sites (not all) would require further css work and this shouldn't be the case...

Again, only my opinion - I'm sure others can assist further.

On a positive note (I do those too! :)) you can clearly build a page, make scrolling elements, upload, manage etc so it's going in the right direction...

Rob

kremo5le
06-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey there,

Even though having a portfolio counts, the most important thing you can do is to always learn new things, or improve what you know (techniques, etc) as you acquire more and more business. Nowadays, most designers need to be on top of the design world. Many of your customers will want a static site, many will want a database drive site, and other will want a CMS site or blog. You need to be prepared! Believe me, in my experience, only 50% or less ask about what I have done. The KEY is to know what you are doing (going back to learning and improving your techniques as good as you can), so when clients call they immediately "feel" you are someone that knows what is doing. I didn't even see you portfolio, but it is because what I just told you. Just to give you an example, have you seen any of those companies that might not have the best designs, yet their business is thriving? Finally, this NEVER should mean that you will slack or do poorly with your job just because you are being called left and right for projects. Do your best at all times and show your clients you truly care (truly).

What do you think? :mrgreen: