PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried out BrowserLab?

DWcourse
06-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone here managed to get into the Browserlab beta and what their thoughts are.

I've been pretty impressed, and I like the integration with Dreamweaver (through a couple extensions).

There are still some rough edges and I've managed to build at least one page where the browserlab IE preview doesn't match the true results.

My biggest questions are whether it will scale to accommodate the huge number of folks who will want in and whether the eventual monthly cost will be prohibitive.

domedia
06-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Still in private beta or whatever they call it right?
I don't have access yet, do you?

DWcourse
06-20-2009, 01:07 AM
I managed to get in the second time they opened up the Beta. @sfegette on Twitter occasionally posts about it. They are supposed to go live in July.

domedia
06-20-2009, 04:02 PM
The direct source is @adobebrowserlab (http://twitter.com/adobebrowserlab). I'm following them now and hoping to get an account next round.

DWCourse, any first impressions?

DWcourse
06-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Haven't tested it as much as I'd like. These are the issues I've found:

1. The page http://creo.studiojmc.com/browserlab-test.html renders incompletely due to a CSS issue in IE7 (and probably other versions of IE) but it renders fully in the IE7 test in BrowserLab. (It's a rather complicated page with a lot of nested/positioned divs. I was working with a designer who wanted his look)

2. The Keyboard shortcut in Dreamweaver Mac for BroswerLab (Command-Shift-F12) conflicts with the shortcut for Preview in Adobe Air.

3. Preview in BroswerLab from Dreamweaver Mac doesn't seem to work properly when FireFox 3.5 Beta is selected as the Primary Browser in Dreamweaver. Works fine when Safari is selected as the Primary Browser.

In spite of that, overall I'm very impressed. I don't think anything will ever replace full testing with multiple browsers but, with the Dreamweaver extension, it's a great tool for designers/developers.

I don't now how close they are to releasing to the public. I think they still have work to do and of course scalability and final pricing will be big issues.

domedia
06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
I can't believe there is a market for this as long as Microsoft gives away Virtual PC and the different IE browsers to test on it for free. At least that is testing in a true environment.

DWcourse
06-22-2009, 02:46 AM
I use VMware fusion (I used to have a PC just for browser checking) which I love but still find it to be a less than ideal solution. I really think BrowserLab at the right price point will be very popular. And while it will still be necessary to check things out in the actual browsers before launch, broswerlab - especially with it's Dreamweaver integration - will certainly be valuable during the development stage.

And, in all fairness, the page I came up with that didn't check out properly was probably an abberation (it had a lot of nasty workarounds to do something that I normally never would have considered).

My bottom-line is that, if the price point is about the same as cheap hosting, I'll sign up.