PDA

View Full Version : DW CS4 and FTP problems not updating site

kingdomfocused
06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Hello. I am praying someone knows how to help me. It has been days I have been working at this and nothing. My site is cmsrenovations.com. I had no problem setting up the FTP and uploaded all pages to remote server.
Now...I need to update some pages (like photos in photo gallery), and also when I named my pages they were too long (for ex. it comes up at the top...cmsrenovations.com/cmsrenovations_aboutus.html). I renamed them all to just about_us or Photo_gallery (so cmsrenovations doesnt come up twice in the browser window). Now, nothing will update (even my older pages). It keeps saying "put" or "get". I click on yes for dependant files. Looks like it is going to the server. When I check on the browser (both Firefox and IE) it is still not updated. I am not quite sure what I am doing wrong. It HAS to be something minor (or stupid I am overlooking on my part) I am sure. It shouldnt be this hard. My husband is complaining (it is our business, our only income and we need it update with his recent jobs and such) that when he used Frontpage before he never had this problem and since I told him DW was so much better (and more expensive since I just purchased it when I took the DW class) he is not impressed.
I am at my wits end and just about ready to go into my control panel of my hosting site and wipe everything out and start all over again uploading to FTP and pray it works. Not sure what else to do at this point.
Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciate!!! Thank a bunch!
Penne

kingdomfocused
06-16-2009, 05:38 PM
ok. so I just checked my site. Last night I updated some photos, thought it went through and as I said, didn't. Now I just checked the photo gallery page and it is ALL messed up. Very weird. not sure what happened.
Thanks,
Penne

MagicPower
06-16-2009, 05:51 PM
you need to get rid of the old pages from the remote directory and keep the new ones that you renamed that will solve the problem. make sure you clear all browsing data of the browser, then reload your website. it should work

kingdomfocused
06-16-2009, 06:13 PM
thanks for the help. So you are saying on the righthand side in DW under remote server, I need to take out the old pages (delete them) and then open the new pages, save to remote server and this should work? I sure hope so. I tried to update my photos to the old page and that didn't work so not sure what is going on with DW and FTP at this point. Thanks. I will see what happens. I am so afraid to take it all off and not have a working site at all.
Thanks,
Penne

MagicPower
06-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Delete all old pages in the remote folder and leave the renamed ones. e.g. cmsrenovations_aboutus.html and leave about_us. Regarding the photos, every new photo you add to a page in DW it also has to be put in the default "images" directory/folder on the remote server

kingdomfocused
06-16-2009, 06:29 PM
thanks. will try in a few minutes

DWcourse
06-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Are you sure you've set up the Host Directory correctly in your remote site definition? You might be dumping the files to the wrong directory so they don't appear as part of the site.

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 04:03 AM
ok. I didn't do this yet. still working on a few other things (too scared to take it all off since nothing else is working). just tried to "put" a few of my photos on my local view (CS4) so they would be on remote view, and this is the error message that came up:
"Started: 6/16/2009 11:58 PM

Images\janpatio.jpg - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put janpatio.jpg. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.
Images\janpatio2.jpg - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put janpatio2.jpg. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.
Images\janpatiodone.jpg - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put janpatiodone.jpg. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.
Images\japatiowithfurnitureon.jpg - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put japatiowithfurnitureon.jpg. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.

File activity incomplete. 4 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed.

Files with errors: 4
Images\janpatio.jpg
Images\janpatio2.jpg
Images\janpatiodone.jpg
Images\japatiowithfurnitureon.jpg

Finished: 6/16/2009 11:59 PM"

Not sure why. Any help? thanks so much!
Penne

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 04:06 AM
DW Course:
Are you referring to "FTP host, host directory, user name and password"?
I know they are correct since I already have a working website up using the same info (I never changed any of it). Now just because I want to change the name of my pages and inserted a few new photos, it won't update at all and keeps giving me error messages. very weird.
thanks so much,
Penne

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 04:15 AM
ok. I deleted the old files and now it is a very odd looking website. There are words all over the place and links but nothing the way I made the site to look. I have no clue what is going on. thanks

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 05:46 AM
if anybody could maybe look at it and let me know what you think I would greatly appreciate it. It is cmsrenovations.com
thanks so much,
Penne

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 06:44 AM
well, I have tried everything I can think of and still nothing. When I browse it while in DW it looks great. But when I bring up on actual internet it comes up with no images and words all over the place. I hope somebody can go on there and view source and maybe tell me what I am doing wrong.
Thanks so much,
Penne

DWcourse
06-17-2009, 07:06 AM
This is the problem, the link to your style sheet is pointing to a file on your local computer:
file:///G|/CMS Renovations/site/css/thrColFixHdr.css

You need to fix that link

DWcourse
06-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Actually, you've got your CSS file linked in twice (wrong both times) and at least one other bad link in there.

Usually a result of not defining your site correctly in Dreamweaver or linking to a file outside of your root folder.

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 03:02 PM
thanks DWCourse. I will look into that right now and see if it works.
Penne

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 03:06 PM
ok. I see it in my code. But maybe dumb question...how can I change it to where I need it to go? I am not good with changing code (don't want to mess things up) I checked page properties and clicked on css bottom left in properties but don't see where I need to change it.thanks so much
Penne

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
I figured out how to change it by clicking on it and it brings up down in properties. thanks. here's hoping (and praying) it works finally!

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 03:09 PM
you also said "and at least one other bad link in there." can you let me know where the bad link is please? thanks so much for all your help

DWcourse
06-17-2009, 03:30 PM
In the code look for any link that begins with "file:///"

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 04:00 PM
ok. it worked. thanks. but I am still not getting any of my images (buttons, pics) to load correctly. this is the error message I get when I "put" dependant files:
Images\ContactUs_btn.jpg - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put ContactUs_btn.jpg. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.
Images\visa mc disc image.jpg - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put visa mc disc image.jpg. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.
Images\Installation you can trust.png - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put Installation you can trust.png. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.
Images\intspecials.jpg - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put intspecials.jpg. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.

File activity incomplete. 25 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed.
Files updated: 1
Files skipped: 1

Files with errors: 25
Images\Home_on_btn.jpg
Images\Home_dwn_btn.jpg
Images\AboutUs_on_btn.jpg
Images\AboutUs_dwn_btn.jpg
Images\Services_on_btn.jpg
Images\Services_dwn_btn.jpg
Images\PhotoGallery_on_btn.jpg
Images\PhotoGallery_dwn_btn.jpg
Images\InternetSpecials_on_btn.jpg
Images\InternetSpecials_dwn_btn.jpg
Images\FreeQuote_on_btn.jpg
Images\FreeQuote_dwn_btn.jpg
Images\ContactUs_on_btn.jpg
Images\ContactUs_dwn_btn.jpg
Images\logo.jpg
Images\Home_btn.jpg
Images\AboutUs_btn.jpg
Images\Services_btn.jpg
Images\PhotoGallery_btn.jpg
Images\Internet_Specials_btn.jpg
Images\FreeQuote_btn.jpg
Images\ContactUs_btn.jpg
Images\visa mc disc image.jpg
Images\Installation you can trust.png
Images\intspecials.jpg

Finished: 6/17/2009 11:19 AM

I have linked them to the correct site folder as far as I know.
thanks so much,
Penne
p.s. I am going back in and trying to find it too

kingdomfocused
06-17-2009, 08:09 PM
ok, I found all broken links and fixed them to where they are supposed to be.
I am still unable see any of my images on the pages and I really cannot see why. They are all linked to the proper site folder and should save when I save to remote server as "put" dependent files.
Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks for all your help so far. I am thankful.
Penne

DWcourse
06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Here's a few things to try:

Upload with an ftp program and see if you get the same error.

Check to make sure the Images folder has the proper permissions on the server.

Make sure you didn't run out of server space.

Restart Dreamweaver

Restart your computer.

kingdomfocused
06-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Not quite sure what you mean when you say make sure Images folder has the proper permission on the server. How do I find this out?
I am just so baffled as I had my site up and running and it looked great.
Now just because I went in, saved all the html pages under a new name (kept everything else the same) saved to remote server, and also added a few new images on the photo gallery page, everything went haywire. Not sure why. This should never have happened. Very frustrating.
Not sure what else to try. Will keep plugging away (as we need this for business and it looks pretty crappy)
oh, I have no idea how to work the other FTP programs. Tried filezilla and another one couple weeks ago (before finding out about DW's ftp) and could not make heads or tails of how to work them.
Thanks,
Penne

MagicPower
06-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Also, try the following see if it will work.
1. You could delete the entire site folder from the server and reput it again, if you don't mind doing that.
2. Clear the cache, delete all cookies, offline website data, all browsing data etc of the browser you may be using and reload your page.
3. Make sure you put the CSS, JS or whatever style - sometimes DW doesn't overwrite them and you may be required to do it manually by deleting the old one from the server and replace it with the modified one.

i have encountered that problem where by DW asks to "put dependant files" and i click yes but then when i view my page online they are not there. 1st time i encountered this i deleted my entire site folder from the server and reloaded it. from then i learnt that every when i make changes to a page and add pictures i put them independently.

Tip: Everytime you "put" files into the remote folder, while in Dw's remote view click refresh (f5). hope that helps.

kingdomfocused
06-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks MagicPower and everyone else who has helped. I actually received the help I needed from a tech at my hosting company who found in my source code that my name for my images folder was capitalized and it was lower case in my file manager in control panel. That was the problem why none of my images weren't going to the pages.
Ok...so it is finally working almost 100%. If anybody could help me just a little more that would be great. The only page that is not working is my contact page. The images are scattered, not where their supposed to be and the info is pushed down too far. I have checked the css and can't see what is wrong. If anybody could help me fix this that would be great and very much appreciated. Thanks so much.
the page is:
http://cmsrenovations.com/contact_us.html

thanks again and have a great day,
Penne

MagicPower
06-18-2009, 08:44 PM
what seems to be the problem? it looks fine, there is 2 pic, a before pic and after pic, are they ment to be close to each other or is after pic meant to be floated: right further away from the before pic.

kingdomfocused
06-19-2009, 12:18 AM
It is finally working. I figured it out. Thanks so much for everyone's help. If anybody has the time to answer a small question.....
if you look at the site and see my menu buttons, a few are different size fonts because they are longer words and wouldn't fit correctly in the button if I left them all the same size. How do I fix this problem so that the buttons all look uniformed, but yet I don't want the buttons to be so big that they protrude outside of the logo at the top that I made. Hope I am making sense.
Thanks so very much,
Penne