PDA

View Full Version : Working remotely..?

djshongo
06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi guys,

Probably a silly question however.. I recently set up a website for a friend, who constantly needs it updated, however i'm not always at home, or at my laptop with all the original DW files.

So, can I work on the site from say, my workplace? (they have DW).
I was going to try this but I was scared to mess it all up!

Any tips?!

Thanks in advance :)
J

rico1931
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
in order to do this you would either need to set up an FTP connection with the server you are uploading the files, then you would need to FTP all the 'most recent' files to your work computer to mess around with them and FTP them back... ORRR you could use windows remote desktop and just remote into your home computer and work from there or the server computer you are working on and open up DW so you don't have to mess with FTP... ORRR you can use gotomypc or something like that if you don't know either of the two... but its pretty expensive and not worth it if you are just doing it for a friend. your choice..

djshongo
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
in order to do this you would either need to set up an FTP connection with the server you are uploading the files, then you would need to FTP all the 'most recent' files to your work computer to mess around with them and FTP them back... ORRR you could use windows remote desktop and just remote into your home computer and work from there or the server computer you are working on and open up DW so you don't have to mess with FTP... ORRR you can use gotomypc or something like that if you don't know either of the two... but its pretty expensive and not worth it if you are just doing it for a friend. your choice..

I like the FTP 'most recent' files idea.. Altho im not very sure how to do this?!
Seems like the best way to do it..

Also, is windows remote desktop good?
Thanks

rico1931
06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Well first you need to make sure that the server allows FTP to your computer by opening some firewalls and what not.. Just google it and there is even a video on how to do it...remote desktop allows you to see your computer just like as if it was physically there but without the tower being physically there

edbr
06-17-2009, 01:31 AM
gotomypc or something like that if you don't know either of the two... but its pretty expensive and not worth it if you are just doing it for a friend. your choice..
have a look at teamviewer. free for non commercial uses

djshongo
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the help!

I'll check out those now and let yous know which I prefer :)

J