PDA

View Full Version : Uploading my site question

kearnsy
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi all

My first site is ready to be uploaded, i'm all excited, but i've thought of something that may or may not cause me a problem

Everything has been made in dreamweaver on my desktop and the files point to.......my desktop, so my question is what will happen when i upload my site to the server? everything points to the desktop and not the server

Is there anything i need to do before i upload it?

thanks

domedia
06-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Everything has been made in dreamweaver on my desktop and the files point to.......my desktop, so my question is what will happen when i upload my site to the server?
Do you mean that all the links starts with your C drive as i 'C://' ?

walkamongus
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
my root folders are on my desktop for easy access :wink:
if the site is functioning properly when you preview, from my experience you will probably be fine. i did once need to place my site in a specified root folder that was provided by the server, but that seems to be less common. good luck

kearnsy
06-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi folks, thanks for your replies

well, everything worked fine except for the flash video files, and i've no idea why

when i previewed them on my desktop they worked fine

I've uploaded all the js files, basicaly everything that was in my default folder

I've been in contact with my webhost and they said it's a problem they are working on, and it should be fixed in 30 mins,....that was 8 hours ago and it's still not fixed

all i'm left with is a white background where the flv files should be

can anyone shed any light on this?

here's the link www.halobums.merseyme.co.uk/ (http://www.halobums.merseyme.co.uk/)

P.S. there's a few rude words throughout the site folks, it's not meant to be viewed by the public, it's just a inhouse joke thing between myself and the lads we play halo with, i used it as my first attempt at making a site, so i hope no one takes offence at a bit of foul language.

thanks

scabro
06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
If site is build in PHP or any other programming language then you may need the full path to the root folder.
The easiest way to do it on the Linux with PHP server is to create the file called

phpinfo.php

and within this file type:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Save the file and upload to your root folder on the server (public_html etc.).
Then simply call this file in your browser - it will give you all information about the PHP version installed on the server and all necessary paths.

edbr
06-16-2009, 12:57 AM
check the path to your flash movie make sure its uploaded. you could also look at using swfobject to embed your movie.
you dont need php for this