PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Linking pages

Stephen O'Connor
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi all,

A real greenhorn of a question. I'm putting together a website and I'm picking up most things on Dreamweaver okay. I'm onto tutorial 11/16 on my course, but I went back to check my links in live view and none of them seem to work. I have twelve pages, most of which are linked to my template.dwt. When I click any of them in live view, firefox or iexplorer preview, none of the work.

The method I used was to highlight the text on the header and footer, down to page properties and drag the link crosshair across to the relevant html in the file tab. I've gone back and re-done them all a couple of times and re-viewed the tutorial and no joy thus far. Any ideas? Any would be much apprecited. All the best,

Steve.

DWcourse
06-11-2009, 08:56 PM
In your site definition did you set links to be relative to document or site root?

Stephen O'Connor
06-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi,

Thanks for replying. In site manager, it is set relative to site root. It has also told me that the site need to be connected to a http. Do I need to change either of these? Thanks.

Steve.

walkamongus
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Have you rearranged any folders within your site?

DWcourse
06-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Actually, the set up doesn't matter. From Adobe: http://cli.gs/arBUWP

Note: Links donít work in Design view. To test your links, use the Preview In Browser feature.

Stephen O'Connor
06-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I have re-arranged the folders, but I re-connected all the links to their own location. Can linked pages only be located in the root file? It also seems to be looking for my linked pages in the templates folder.

domedia
06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Can linked pages only be located in the root file? They can be anywhere you want.QUOTE=Stephen O'Connor;161458]It also seems to be looking for my linked pages in the templates folder.[/QUOTE]Sounds like an issue with the site definitions as DWCourse mentioned above.

DWcourse
06-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Sorry, when I said setup didn't matter, I only meant for Live View.

If links are pointing to your Templates folder remember: Dreamweaver only corrects links on pages built from the template if the links are in the locked portions of a Template. Links in editable regions won't be updated to reflect the location of the new page.

Stephen O'Connor
06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your help. Got the links sorted out in the end. I put everything into the templates folder and then htmls were arranged in sub-folders by category. The links work now and I haven't had any problems since. Thanks a lot, all the best,

Steve.

DWcourse
06-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Then you're not using Dreamweaver templates correctly. NOTHING except the template (.dwt) files should be in the Templates folder. You create a new file based upon a template by using menu: File>New and then, in the New Document dialog selecting Page from Template, your site and the Template you want to build the new page from.

DON'T open the template and Save AsÖ to create a new page.