PDA

View Full Version : Resizing lay out

gigiloumill
06-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Can someone please show me how to resize a lay out template? thanks

Corrosive
06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Can someone please show me how to resize a lay out template? thanks

By adjusting the widths/heights of divs through CSS.

MagicPower
06-10-2009, 06:42 PM
it will depend on how the templates itself is layed out. if main holder is in tables, then the resize is going to be pretty challenging but if the main holder is a div tag then do as corrossive suggested. you can do that in the box category of the CSS Rule Definition

DWcourse
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Of course how easy it is to do will also depend upon how well the original template was designed.

Corrosive
06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Of course how easy it is to do will also depend upon how well the original template was designed.

80% of the time, not very, in my experience. Some are good (like the ones on this site) but I've seen some terrible code in templates.

DWcourse
06-11-2009, 02:19 PM
People don't realize the difference between creating a one off site design and offering a theme that people will want to customize and use in a variety of ways. Having offered a couple of commercial products, i now realize you have to build in flexibility from the start (and it doesn't hurt to add comments extensively either).

That's why I like Dreamweaver's built-in layouts as starting points.

Corrosive
06-11-2009, 02:27 PM
People don't realize the difference between creating a one off site design and offering a theme that people will want to customize and use in a variety of ways. Having offered a couple of commercial products, i now realize you have to build in flexibility from the start (and it doesn't hurt to add comments extensively either).

That's why I like Dreamweaver's built-in layouts as starting points.

I agree entirely. I often think that people who provide templates are graphic designers who think 'that looks great', stick it through an abomination such as Site Grinder and then offer it for download. The moment you try and add your own stuff it breaks!