PDA

View Full Version : Need Code help with my website!

Popkurn611
06-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello all, I need anyone's help at this point. I created my site through dreamweaver and my index page views in every browser (IE, Safari, Firefox) BUT once I hit my "enter" button on my index page, it takes me to a blank page and does not display my homepage. The only browser it completely fully works on is Firefox.

I know every browser is different with interpreting code, but this really doesn't look good if I send my link to a company that is looking to hire me and them not being able to get past my first page! Can someone please look into my code and try to help me out, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

-Jessica

www.stuffwhy.com/hosted/jkurnit

Corrosive
06-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Hello all, I need anyone's help at this point. I created my site through dreamweaver and my index page views in every browser (IE, Safari, Firefox) BUT once I hit my "enter" button on my index page, it takes me to a blank page and does not display my homepage. The only browser it completely fully works on is Firefox.

I know every browser is different with interpreting code, but this really doesn't look good if I send my link to a company that is looking to hire me and them not being able to get past my first page! Can someone please look into my code and try to help me out, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

-Jessica

www.stuffwhy.com/hosted/jkurnit

From what I can tell as far as Chrome gets you have no <body> tags.

Popkurn611
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks Corrosive, I am a beginner with all this code and have had a lot of help with my website so if you can further elaborate when you say I have no <body> tags, that would be very helpful.

I never even heard of Chrome....where you able to get passed my enter page?

Corrosive
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
From what I can tell as far as Chrome gets you have no <body> tags.

Sorry, scratch that. I've just looked in Firefox. You have this...

<div id="container">
<style type="text/css">
<!--
#container {position: absolute; left: 50%; width:800px; margin-left:-400px;}
</style>

Before your closing </head> tag which can't be helping. Try validating your code at...

http://validator.w3.org/

That might give you an idea where to start tidying your code.

Corrosive
06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Also you have made a bit of a rookie error. Your whole site is jpegs. You need to have some HTML text in there for Search Engines. At the moment your site will look like just images to a Search Engine so I wouldn't worry too much about people not getting in as I doubt anyone will find it!

You've also used tables for layout which is a bad move as well. Use CSS and Div Tags for layout.

Corrosive
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I never even heard of Chrome....where you able to get passed my enter page?

Chrome is Google's own browser. I love it for browsing and use it all the time. And, no, only Firefox would let me into your website I'm afraid.