PDA

View Full Version : Slicing - Svae for web question

kearnsy
06-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Folks

I've been doing a hell of a lot of reading over the past few weeks and am almost (i emphasise the word almost) ready to attempt my first project in dreamweaver

I've noticed that when i export a webpage layout from photoshop into dreamweaver, the html code showd <td> for the sliced images

I've read that tables are bad design practice, so how would i correct this

is it possible to replace the <td> with say a div tag?

if so what's the best way to go about it? ie: how do i do it?

thanks for any help offered, it's much appreciated.

Corrosive
06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Folks

I've been doing a hell of a lot of reading over the past few weeks and am almost (i emphasise the word almost) ready to attempt my first project in dreamweaver

I've noticed that when i export a webpage layout from photoshop into dreamweaver, the html code showd <td> for the sliced images

I've read that tables are bad design practice, so how would i correct this

is it possible to replace the <td> with say a div tag?

if so what's the best way to go about it? ie: how do i do it?

thanks for any help offered, it's much appreciated.

Hi Kearnsey

I'd stay well away from using Photoshop to export your layout. You are absolutely correct that tables are bad practice. I slice the images I need in photoshop by hand and then piece it back together using div tags and CSS.

kearnsy
06-10-2009, 04:21 PM
thanks corrosive, do you mean export the sliced images only from photoshop and not the sliced images and html code?

If so, this may sound like a stupid question, but how would i go about recreating the sliced images with divs

By that i mean how would i know where everything sits on the page?

DWcourse
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
You can export from photoshop using divs but they're absolutely positioned so you'll still have issues.

In PhotoShop:

File>Save for Web and Devices…
Choose your export settings (jpg, gif, etc.) and click Save
At the bottom of the Save Optimized As dialog
Format: HTML and Images
Settings: XHTML

It's an improvement but Corrosive is right that you're better off building the layout yourself.

Corrosive
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM
thanks corrosive, do you mean export the sliced images only from photoshop and not the sliced images and html code?

yes, basically. I just cut out what I need, create a new PSD and then save for web as a jpeg or png/gif if needs be.

If so, this may sound like a stupid question, but how would i go about recreating the sliced images with divs

By that i mean how would i know where everything sits on the page?

That is the skill of the web designer. Understanding how pages go together with CSS and div tags. You need to delve into CSS tutorials and start learning the basics of site construction.

MagicPower
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
may i jus say that when you construct a layout in photoshop and export it to dreamweaver all the text in that layout will also be saved as images. use PS to create image bgs which you can then use as your div bgs or whatever else you may want to use them for in DW.

kearnsy
06-12-2009, 04:23 PM
thanks for your replies chaps