PDA

View Full Version : Target Linking? CS4

legacy800
06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi, ok prety much a noob when it comes to sitebuilding but I know some HTML and made some really amateur websites.

I am just trying out CS4 for fun atm and I always used frames and made a navigationframe as header or a sidebar and made a maincontent bar beneath or to the side of it, that way I would have the site split up in 2 frames.

With that I could just name te maincontent frame and use the links from the navigation to load everything in my mainframe with target="_main".

Now with CS4 there is alot of CSS involved, I just pressed Create New>More>Blank Page>HTML>3 Column Liquid, Header and Footer.

Now my question is how can you load something in the maincontent Column(like another page or text) when you click on a hyperlink in the header.

Obviously I need to read some tutorials on how this all works but I'm probably looking for the wrong words on how to do such a thing in dreamweaver.

And are previous dreamweaver versions easier to use than CS4 for a beginner?

DWcourse
06-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Frames just aren't accepted as a standard way of building websites anymore.

legacy800
06-11-2009, 03:26 PM
What is another way to load content into frames without reloading the entire page than and can you give me any tutorials or does it have a name?

Corrosive
06-11-2009, 03:30 PM
What is another way to load content into frames without reloading the entire page than and can you give me any tutorials or does it have a name?

Just build separate, clean pages. Use 'includes' for any consistent elements such as navigation and the browser cache will keep the download time to a minimum. Unless you are displaying someone else's content within your site, frames are a bad idea IMO.

DWcourse
06-11-2009, 05:18 PM
The actual size of the html file for your pages should be very small so they should load very quickly. Your broswer will cache images so they don't have to be downloaded again and if you use external javascript and CSS they will be cached by your browser as well. So a well designed site should load quickly without resorting to frames and all the problems they create.