PDA

View Full Version : Div Help

mach89
06-09-2009, 04:06 AM
I know how to work Ap Div tags fairly well now, however when i started my website i used a table and filled it in that way. Now i want to use some div to overlap the table but my table is always centered in the window where as the ap div is positioned according to distance from left and top. is there any relevant positioning divs or what way should i approach adding content over my table?

edbr
06-09-2009, 04:16 AM
tables are not recomended for page layout. use relative positioned divs. search for tuts and if you follow the different links in my sig there is an example to start you off

mach89
06-09-2009, 05:25 AM
ya i started with tables then realized that its frowned upon hah.. but im prolly just gonna finish it up anyways. are AP divs the recommended way of laying out a page?

edbr
06-09-2009, 05:28 AM
no relative divs are better, use aps for positioning elements.
it is easy to run into problems using aps for general layout although it is possible

d a v e
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
"ya i started with tables then realized that its frowned upon hah.. but im prolly just gonna finish it up anyways." why? it's not the way to do it.

mach89
06-09-2009, 07:26 PM
whats bad about tables? and I'm pretty far into it already so I might as well finish it up. It's not an important site and i just need it to launch, once i have more time i'll redo it with relative divs i assume

domedia
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
whats bad about tables?
They're not meant as a tool to design your website. They're made for displaying tabular data, think spreadsheets.
and I'm pretty far into it already so I might as well finish it up. It's not an important site and i just need it to launch, once i have more time i'll redo it with relative divs i assume If you're about done you might as well finish it up. The sooner you'll switch your website to use web standards, the easier it will for you to update your site in the future.

mach89
06-09-2009, 08:27 PM
what is standard.. i apologize for asking this question cause i'm sure i can search it and find it soon enough, but this forum answers just as fast. i'm having problems with my layout and i think i'm doing an unorthodox approach.