PDA

View Full Version : Font In Safari

TARCON
06-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Hi,
I have made this website and the font within the website is Trajan Pro. When viewing the website in IE and Firefox, Trajan Pro is what you see. When viewing the website in Safari (and probably other browsers), you see Times New Roman. How do I make the Trajan Pro font viewable in all browsers?

Thanks,

TARCON

DWcourse
06-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Trajan Pro isn't in the "core" set. It will only be viewable to users who have that font installed.

TARCON
06-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Yes, that is what I thought.
I made this website for a client and they really want the font to be Trajon Pro. Is there any way to have this font to show up on Safari, or am I just going to have to use one of the 'core' fonts?

And, I have another site with Gills Sans MT font, and I don't believe that is a 'core' font, but it shows in Safari...

Hm...

Thanks for your help...

DWcourse
06-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Well, if you have Trajan installed on your amchine, it really should show in Safari but other users, without the font installed, will see the browsers default font (probably Times). If you can post a link, I'll take a look.

Corrosive
06-09-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm not sure anything really needs looking at. It is easy. Normal HTML and you use a font, if the font isn't on the viewers computer they will see the default (Times New Roman). This is why you give a selection of fonts...

font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

In this example, if Verdana is not available then Arial will be used, then Helvetica and so on. You must select a second and third font over your desired one and select the one which works best.

You also need to explain this to your client!!!

DWcourse
06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Corrosive is right. I was just wondering if there might be some reason for the font not to show up in only Safari

Corrosive
06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Corrosive is right. I was just wondering if there might be some reason for the font not to show up in only Safari

I see what you mean. Maybe Safari is on a different machine to IE and FF? Otherwise, you are right, that is weird!!

TARCON
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the input.
Here is the site: www.fragilemusic.com
Trajan comes up in Firefox and IE, but not in Safari and this is bugging me. I have Trajan installed, but still no Trajan font in Safari....it goes to the default Times New Roman. I do actually have the font-family: Trajan Pro in the coding as well. Hmm...

Thanks Corrosive and DWcourse for trying to figure this out with me...send me more input if you find anything else out.

DWcourse
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I see Trajan in both FF and Safari (Mac).

Some other suggestions (not that you asked).

ALL CAPS ARE VERY HARD TO READ.

Don't open your news feed in a new window and add navigation to it.

I suppose, since it's a band, the auto play music is inevitable but sound I didn't ask for always makes me close the browser window. And that flash animation really doesn't add anything to the site.

TARCON
06-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the critique.
The Trajan font is what they want and it is an all-caps font.
And I thought the flash animation with the music is quite good. Hahaha.

I don't understand what you are saying about the News Feed. But anyways, I am glad you can see it on your Safari browser. Just wondering why I can't?

d a v e
06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
just because your client wants an all caps font doesn't mean it's a good idea - and remember too: not everyone will have Trajan Pro and at that font size it renders quite poorly; it's thin and blurry.

incidentally i see it in firefox on windows vista but not in safari on windows

coloeagle
06-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Adding my viewing experience. :(

I don't have Trajan pro, the font defaults to times new roman all lower case, small and difficult to read. :(

With it in lower case it makes the site look amateurish.

Ricky55
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Just use Georgia.

d a v e
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Just use Georgia.
and some backup fonts too of course... ;)
e.g. font-family:Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

TARCON
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the input!

MagicPower
06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
use arial or helvetica or san-serif, neutral and widely used. looks very good too in bold. size 11 or 12.