PDA

View Full Version : Help With Website!

richefc1878
06-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I have made this website through Dreamweaver and was hoping for some advice.

http://www.sunvalleyapartments.co.uk/

When i have published some of the pages on the website, the writing and photos seem to overlap each other when it has been published, it does not do this in the F12 Preview in Dreamweaver however, i was wondering how i can adjust so the writing and photos are seperated?

Thanks

Rich

richefc1878
06-07-2009, 08:01 PM
If anyone could help asap that would be great thanks :)

Rich

Corrosive
06-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Rich

I've had a look at the site and I'm afraid that, fundamentally, your approach is flawed. The width of the site on some pages means you have to scroll right to read the content and you have used tables combined with apdivs/layers for layout which is going to cause multiple issues in itself.

If you have the time/inclination to learn the correct way to design a website then we will be happy to give you some guidance but you'll have to start again IMO.

Otherwise, have you considered hiring a web designer?

This is just my opinion of course!

cocoonfx
06-08-2009, 10:10 AM
You don't need to hire a web design or start form scratch.

Make the navigation button area smaller, and think about reducing the size of all the tables or using a CSS style sheets and some buttons. Also reduce the size of the picture of the villa. You have it at 576px 389px i would make it width 300 px at least.

Change the font from Times New Roman to another font, it will make the site look better instantly.

I normally set my website to 1084 px wide yours i think is alot larger.

Your using tables this can limit what you can do with regards to layout. I would recommend learning some CSS which makes changing and tweaking the sites a lot better. There is loads of posts on this forum which can get you started on CSS.

d a v e
06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
You don't need to hire a web design or start form scratch.

Make the navigation button area smaller, and think about reducing the size of all the tables or using a CSS style sheets and some buttons. Also reduce the size of the picture of the villa. You have it at 576px 389px i would make it width 300 px at least.

Change the font from Times New Roman to another font, it will make the site look better instantly.

I normally set my website to 1084 px wide yours i think is alot larger.

Your using tables this can limit what you can do with regards to layout. I would recommend learning some CSS which makes changing and tweaking the sites a lot better. There is loads of posts on this forum which can get you started on CSS.
that *is* pretty much starting from scratch wouldn't you say? change the way it's built, the look, the fonts... :)

i'm with corrosive on this one ;)

p.s. you (the op) need to resize your images to the proper size in an image editor too!

Corrosive
06-08-2009, 04:19 PM
that *is* pretty much starting from scratch wouldn't you say? change the way it's built, the look, the fonts... :)

i'm with corrosive on this one ;)

That's good to hear...I thought I was cracking up when I read Cocoon's reply!

richefc1878
06-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replys.

How do i make the widths of the pages smaller in px?

I will look into CSS pages also.

Thanks

Rich

Corrosive
06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
The usual method is to create a wrapper div and then set the size of that with CSS and built your website inside that.

For instance...

CSS:

#wrapper {
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
width: 900px; <<< this can be changed to 100% width if you want it to fill the browser window
}

Then the HTML

<div id="wrapper>The entire content of your website goes here</div>

Hope this helps

richefc1878
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks Corrosive :)

Corrosive
06-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks Corrosive :)

No problem at all. I should probably add that the code goes between the <body> tags. Don't 'wrap' the <head> tags.

The rest still stands as well. You have multiple issues with your layout.

richefc1878
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Corrosive - Do you think it would be better to start again? I only need to make a basic website so i am unsure. As you said i have multiple issues with layout i was unsure what to do.

Thanks

Corrosive
06-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Corrosive - Do you think it would be better to start again? I only need to make a basic website so i am unsure. As you said i have multiple issues with layout i was unsure what to do.

Thanks

I think you should...but, as I said earlier, that is just my opinion.

It's your business and the website is the impression you give out to all who visit. You want it correctly marked up with Search Engines kept firmly in mind so that people will find it. You need a CSS and div based layout that is consistent across all pages and you want to make it display well on all browsers and screen resolutions.

richefc1878
06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks i think i will do that - as i want the website to be all correct.

I have never used CSS before, what is the best way to start?

Thanks for all your help.

Rich

Corrosive
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Start here...

http://www.w3schools.com/Css/css_intro.asp

richefc1878
06-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Corrosive :)!

kcmartz
06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I would always use w3schools first, then google for more, if needed...

domedia
06-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I should put together a compilation of great CSS sources..
w3schools, altough being a Norwegian website, is not really *that* good.

Corrosive
06-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I should put together a compilation of great CSS sources..
w3schools, altough being a Norwegian website, is not really *that* good.

I think the very basic descriptions of what CSS is/does at w3 are quite good. That's all the member needs at this stage but, yes, that would be useful. I'm sure I put some in my sticky but it's late here and I'll check tomorrow.

edbr
06-10-2009, 02:07 AM
altough being a Norwegian website, is not really *that* good.

Pining for the fjords a bit?

MagicPower
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
use div tags men. use div tags. i have also visited your site. try using one colour for bg. have you tried using sub-folders; in the left nav when i clicked on apartments you get apartment.html n so on for the rest. you can create a subfolder called appartment and then put apartment.html into the apartment subfolder then name it index.html. i can then access apartment.html by typing yourwebsite/apartment into the address bar. then when some one clicks on appartment in the left nav you will get: yourwebsite/apartment/index.html. to hide the index.html you can create a .htaccess and put it in that subfolder. Local Attractions.html - try using lower case for links, directories and subfolder. Makes site more proffessional. If you get what i'm talking about, I can fix that site for you free of charge if you don't mind.

SORRY IF I WENT OFF TOPIC or if you may find my advice useless. i'm just trying to share my knowledge.

kcmartz
06-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Hmmm, I didn't know that w3schools was a norwegian website, wow! I thought it was american!

kremo5le
06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi,

I have made this website through Dreamweaver and was hoping for some advice.

http://www.sunvalleyapartments.co.uk/

When i have published some of the pages on the website, the writing and photos seem to overlap each other when it has been published, it does not do this in the F12 Preview in Dreamweaver however, i was wondering how i can adjust so the writing and photos are seperated?

Thanks

Rich

Hey there,

I notice that your images are not optimized. Make sure your images are not 50KB per images. This is definitely a turn down for people with slow connections. Also, make sure your pages pass the error validation. If you have errors you will see differences between browsers.

Good luck,

k. :-)

Corrosive
06-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Hey there,

I notice that your images are not optimized. Make sure your images are not 50KB per images. This is definitely a turn down for people with slow connections. Also, make sure your pages pass the error validation. If you have errors you will see differences between browsers.

Good luck,

k. :-)

I'll tell you what K. That site is a 100X better then when we last saw it!

kremo5le
06-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I'll tell you what K. That site is a 100X better then when we last saw it!

Wow, for real? When I saw it yesterday it was good, yet the problem with the images was what I could find... Fix that my friend so you can also learn about optimizing your site. :grin:

Cipbor
07-20-2009, 12:07 AM
I have website up now, just getting kinks out, along with hacks, plugins, products....

learning on the fly

kremo5le
07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I have website up now, just getting kinks out, along with hacks, plugins, products....

learning on the fly

Hey Cipbor,

Do you need any help? Let us know!