PDA

View Full Version : What would you charge?

dani808
05-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a question I was hoping you all could answer. My brother's graphic design company has a client that has paid them to design their website. What they usually do is do all the graphics and design it in Photoshop then give it to a webdeveloper to actually make it into a website. I wanted to put in a bid for the job. I have been building my portfolio in this market and this would look really great on it. I have seen what they are wanting and I know I can do it. I am just not sure what to charge. I know what I would charge if I were doing the whole site but since they are doing almost all of the creative element I am challenged with trying to figure out what to ask for.

A little about it. It is going to be about 45 pages, some minor flash (navigation, gallery, transitions maybe), they also want a section for each of the business locations, that can easily be updated with daily and weekly specials. This is the one thing I am not sure about. I was thinking of designing a wordpress blog to match and making that the section so they can just update the blog. I have seen people do this where you would never even know it is a wordpress blog so I know it can be done. Unless someone else has any better ideas?

I don't know if this is enough to go on. Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS!!

DWcourse
05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
I've found implementing someone else's design to be a much work as creating and implementing my own. All I get out of is dealing directly with the client (although designers can be a pain as well). So I don't discount much.

Also, if you're new to WordPress, expect a learning curve.

dani808
05-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes that is true. I was actually thinking about how it puts you at a disadvantage because at least with your own design, if something isn't working you can change your design to something that does. I am a little worried about that part of it although it is nice to have a professional designer doing all the design. I have always said that some of the nicest looking sites are nothing more than a a few well designed or well photographed images in a basic, elegant functional web design.

I am concerned about the wordpress thing. I was wondering if anyone has any other thoughts for that section then. What do you do when a client wants a section that they can update regularly, like with events, or a food menu (specials) or new employees? Is there something else I am not thinking about? I know most like to charge to maintain these things, but don't really want to.

THANKS!!

edbr
06-01-2009, 02:25 AM
i would advise to start experimenting locally before committing myself. it sounds like you might get out of your depth,
joomla or drupal might be worth a look or as has been posted , adobe contribute but i have no experience at all with that

domedia
06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
It would probably be a good idea not to use a client as a test case to see if you're able to use Wordpress or not.