PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help with DIV Tag problem...

frame
05-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Hello folks,
I am flummoxed as to what I have done wrong...heck, I don't even know if I can explain it but I'll try. I have created a website template in PS and went about the standard slicing and exporting it so that I have the html file and also a file of images. I have no issue importing the html into DW and it all looks grand. When I make a DIV Tag for the template everything is fine. But when I go through the process of deleting the editable content area and then adding a DIV Tag, I run into all sorts of chaos. I click on DIV Tag, ID it as 'site_layout_content', hit 'new css style', define it as 'new style sheet file', save root as 'site_layout_content', hit save, change background color, hit 'box' and enter right dimensions of editable area and then click OK. Then all hell breaks loose. My templates breaks apart in all the auto sliced areas. If I try to write any text, it allows me but when I press 'return' again my template becomes broken up and elongated at the bottom. Anybody have a similar issue or know what the heck I am doing wrong? I spent hours watching tutorials from that 'tutvid' guy and everything was going well until this. Cheers,
Matt

frame
05-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Is there a way to lock all of the other elements on the page so that they cannot move?

frame
05-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I have included a pic below of the web template being forced apart due to my DIV Tag issue.

http://www.cleantesting.com/files/dream.JPG

Corrosive
05-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm afraid that whoever 'tutvid' guy is, they have led you up the wrong path. Exporting as html from photoshop is a terrible way of building a website. You need to cut up your page manually and then put it back together using div tags and CSS positioning.

Your education really needs to start here...

http://w3schools.com/

frame
05-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I understand that knowing html scripting is the preferred way of dealing with such issues but that is just not a reality for me. Is there anyway for me to add text to a pre-made web template that has been imported into DW? I tried AP Divs but the alignment goes all askew when I am previewing. Is there anyway to lock the AP DIV to the template below it?

Corrosive
05-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Is there any way for me to add text to a pre-made web template that has been imported into DW?

Yes, but you need to know what you are looking for...bit of a 'catch 22' really. There are some templates on this website. http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/templates/

They are all built well with CSS and div tags so you'd probably have more luck adding text to these for your website. Your always going to have to learn some stuff along the way.

frame
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I appreciate the help and I agree with you, I have learned a great deal in just the past few days with all the tutorials I have been watching. However, it seems to me that adding text that will 'stick' in alignment is a simple problem that has a simple solution but I suppose not. Again, thanks for your help.
Cheers.