PDA

View Full Version : Editable Region sizing

italialiving
05-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi. I had a programmer move my navigation bar from across the top to along the left side of my page in my dreamweaver template, but it caused my content to run way off the right side onto the page background. I now have to go and re-create or resize all my site pages. I was able to fairly easily do so to one of the pages by adjusting the table sizes to about 740, and the page shows fine in design mode now. However, when I go to preview in browser it still shows all the content way off the center to the right onto the background.

I noticed in design mode even thought the content looks as it should on the page, there is a blue large blue lined box with a "content" tab at the left corner that encompasses all the page content, and still goes way off to the right on the background. I think this is my problem.
How do you resize that box to be the same as the table sizes?
Just can't figure it out and hoping it's a simple fix.

Thank you for any advice!
-Rich

Corrosive
05-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi. I had a programmer move my navigation bar from across the top to along the left side of my page in my dreamweaver template, but it caused my content to run way off the right side onto the page background. I now have to go and re-create or resize all my site pages. I was able to fairly easily do so to one of the pages by adjusting the table sizes to about 740, and the page shows fine in design mode now. However, when I go to preview in browser it still shows all the content way off the center to the right onto the background.

I noticed in design mode even thought the content looks as it should on the page, there is a blue large blue lined box with a "content" tab at the left corner that encompasses all the page content, and still goes way off to the right on the background. I think this is my problem.
How do you resize that box to be the same as the table sizes?
Just can't figure it out and hoping it's a simple fix.

Thank you for any advice!
-Rich

The blue box shows you where your editable region is. It is just a guide. You wouldn't be able to resize this box without moving where the editable region is. Kind of defeats the object of templates having the whole thing as editable.

Seeing as someone else broke this for you, have you gone back to them and asked them to fix it?

italialiving
05-22-2009, 03:58 PM
The blue box shows you where your editable region is. It is just a guide. You wouldn't be able to resize this box without moving where the editable region is. Kind of defeats the object of templates having the whole thing as editable.

Seeing as someone else broke this for you, have you gone back to them and asked them to fix it?

Guess I am bit confused though since all my content is in tables that are sized correctly to fit on the page, but that blue box goes way off over to the right. I would have thought that the content stays in the table.

I haven't gone back to the programmer because he created the new template for me by adding the navigation bar along the left side, and told me I would now have to re-create or resize the tables to fit on the page since the navigation bar along the left now pushes the content over to the right. It just seemed like a simple fix I would need to do to change the sizing of the blue box to be the same size as the tables that go along the right side just before going over onto the background.

There has got to be a way to resize the right side of the editable region fairly easily.
I guess will go back to my programmer. Thanks

Corrosive
05-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Guess I am bit confused though since all my content is in tables that are sized correctly to fit on the page, but that blue box goes way off over to the right. I would have thought that the content stays in the table.

I haven't gone back to the programmer because he created the new template for me by adding the navigation bar along the left side, and told me I would now have to re-create or resize the tables to fit on the page since the navigation bar along the left now pushes the content over to the right. It just seemed like a simple fix I would need to do to change the sizing of the blue box to be the same size as the tables that go along the right side just before going over onto the background.

There has got to be a way to resize the right side of the editable region fairly easily.
I guess will go back to my programmer. Thanks

I'm not sure you really understand what an editable region is and does. It is not visible on a web page and is just an indicator as I said before. Adjusting the blue box will not solve your problem.

Have you read this... http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

italialiving
05-22-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not sure you really understand what an editable region is and does. It is not visible on a web page and is just an indicator as I said before. Adjusting the blue box will not solve your problem.

Have you read this... http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

I think I'll have to contact the programmer. I'm trying to explain this simply, but guess I can't quite put it into words.

I had my navigation going across top of my template. I had it moved to run vertical along the left side. This caused all my content to move way over to the right off the white middle section and onto the background that shows on the right and left sides. I was told I needed to resize all my tables on each page to fit now within the middle white section and not overlap onto the right side background. I was able to easily do so by changing the table width to 740 and it looks fine in design view. When I go to preview in browser it still shows up way off onto the right side of the background. It appears that the blue lined box that says "content" in a tab on the upper left corner still is much wider than the table...off onto the right side background.

So...there has got to be a simple way to adjust this blue box to fit the page. I believe that is the problem. Unless you think it is something else?

Corrosive
05-22-2009, 05:50 PM
I think I'll have to contact the programmer. I'm trying to explain this simply, but guess I can't quite put it into words.

I had my navigation going across top of my template. I had it moved to run vertical along the left side. This caused all my content to move way over to the right off the white middle section and onto the background that shows on the right and left sides. I was told I needed to resize all my tables on each page to fit now within the middle white section and not overlap onto the right side background. I was able to easily do so by changing the table width to 740 and it looks fine in design view. When I go to preview in browser it still shows up way off onto the right side of the background. It appears that the blue lined box that says "content" in a tab on the upper left corner still is much wider than the table...off onto the right side background.

So...there has got to be a simple way to adjust this blue box to fit the page. I believe that is the problem. Unless you think it is something else?

Have you got a link to the broken site please?

italialiving
05-22-2009, 05:52 PM
No, I don't sorry. I am trying to get my site working correctly on my local drive before uploading and replacing my current site with one that is not working right yet.

Corrosive
05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
No, I don't sorry. I am trying to get my site working correctly on my local drive before uploading and replacing my current site with one that is not working right yet.

Ah, yes. OK, sensible really. All I can tell you is that editable regions should not be affecting the layout of your site. See this is an editable region...

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->

The use of <!-- and --> tells the browser not to display them. They are for the use of DW to tell where your editable regions are. I honestly think you are looking in the wrong place for your answer. There may be a closing table tag or something like that which is missing.

DWcourse
05-22-2009, 06:59 PM
The editable region isn't an issue.

If you're working in tables, that's a problem already but check and make sure the width of your table's columns (as specified in the td tags like this <td width="120"> add up to the width of your table.

Otherwise if you can't post a link for us to look I doubt we can help.