PDA

View Full Version : Template Borders formatting question

davidl466
05-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Hey all, I've finished designing my pages from a template that I'm using...but I'm having a problem with my template enlarging or getting smaller depending on how wide my browser window is...for example, when I drag the right corner of my browser in to make the window smaller, my template borders also get smaller and therefore squishing in the contents together, rather than just having a fixed area between the borders....and so therefore my logo on the top of the page (which is a fixed .gif image) will hang over the right border of the template (unless I make the browser window big enough)...and of course all of the text on the page gets re-formatted on the page depending on how big or small the browser window is...I'm hoping there's a pretty simple fix for this and am thinking that it has to do with some coding on the CSS page?? Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated!

David

DWcourse
05-19-2009, 01:46 AM
It would be easier to figure out the problem if we could see your page. Can you post a url?

davidl466
05-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Yes, the url is: www.lundaypictures.com

Thanks, David

davidl466
05-19-2009, 02:37 AM
It would be easier to figure out the problem if we could see your page. Can you post a url?

Yes my url is: www.lundaypictures.com

Thanks, David

edbr
05-19-2009, 02:40 AM
in your
.header {
background: #111;
border-bottom: 1px solid #333;
font: normal 2em sans-serif;
height: 120px;
}
either add you image as a background or add
overflow:hidden: this will hide the excess when the browser is smaller

davidl466
05-19-2009, 04:02 AM
in your
.header {
background: #111;
border-bottom: 1px solid #333;
font: normal 2em sans-serif;
height: 120px;
}
either add you image as a background or add
overflow:hidden: this will hide the excess when the browser is smaller

OK, thanks for that...I'm also thinking though that it might be better to somehow define the area between the two borders that outline the template so that the text within those borders would stay the way they are rather than being "liquidy" when I make the browser window bigger...hope that makes sense...basically just make the left and right borders a few pixels wider than the logo at the top so the distance between the borders and the logo are always the same no matter how big or small the browser window is.

d a v e
05-19-2009, 04:10 AM
you have your header/logo saved as a .gif3 when it should be .gif :)

davidl466
05-19-2009, 04:21 AM
you have your header/logo saved as a .gif3 when it should be .gif :)

Does that really matter? I think it's just because it's the third version that I saved from Photoshop.

d a v e
05-19-2009, 03:14 PM
well guess not in so far as you can see it .

but why not name it filename3.gif instead?

it might cause problems in some browsers...