PDA

View Full Version : question about backing up and transferring files

dani808
05-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I am a newbie with dreamweaver, self taught. I managed to get a half decent website up that I am pretty happy with so far. (http://www.marknbrownfineart.com (http://www.marknbrownfineart.com/)) Here is my issue:

I was using the trial version because I was waiting for my computer to be shipped that had an older version of DW. (cheaper to upgrade then to buy the full version) Now that I have the computer, I paid and upgraded to CS4, however I have created this website using the trial on the backup computer and all my files are there as well. Having learned the hard way about how sensitive altering or moving files is, I am worried now that this is going to cause me trouble.

I have an external harddrive. I already did an export of the website into my root file as well as another place just in case. (the .ste file) I saved it to the external HD. I need to know how to move all of my files to this computer and import into the new DreamWeaver. Can I just save the file from the external harddrive, then import the .ste file. Do I have to do an import from the FTP to the new version of CS4?

I would appreciate some help. Thanks so much!!

DWcourse
05-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Copy the root folder of the site (and all its contents) to your new computer and then define the site again pointing the local site to the new root folder and using the same info you've been using for the remote site.

Corrosive
05-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Copy the root folder of the site (and all its contents) to your new computer and then define the site again pointing the local site to the new root folder and using the same info you've been using for the remote site.

I don't think you need to define the site again if you have used the 'export site' function with DW. Export the site, copy all the files over to a folder of the same name and in the same location (i.e. My Documents) and then import your site settings.

DWcourse
05-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Corrosive is right. As long as the you keep the locations exactly the same, you can just import the site from your .ste export file.

(I always give new computers and hard drives new names)

Corrosive
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Corrosive is right. As long as the you keep the locations exactly the same, you can just import the site from your .ste export file.

(I always give new computers and hard drives new names)

I had to do this a couple of months ago when one of my PCs was rebuilt. Surprisingly it worked like a charm!