PDA

View Full Version : Website Wireframes

skoz55
05-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Can anybody recommend an easy way to make a website wireframe with actual dimensions on it?

Every website I make, I first create boxes for all the divs and size them correctly. This helps with programming for I now have an overview and plan of what it will look like. The problem is I then have to manually enter all the box dimensions, as well the horizontal and vertical units so I can create my style sheet.

Creating the boxes is no problem, for its a part of the design process. However then manually entering all the box sizes and horizontal and vertical units is a task of its own.

I have all the Adobe products so using a different product for this is fine, however I primarily use Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

domedia
05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
I usually use pen and paper. The normal use of wireframes is to determine what goes on the page and where relatively to other elements on the page, not to decide with pixel perfection how it's going to look.

If you want to create a wireframe with actually dimensions I'd guess Photoshop would be a good alternative.

Rob_Che
05-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I usually use pen and paper. The normal use of wireframes is to determine what goes on the page and where relatively to other elements on the page, not to decide with pixel perfection how it's going to look.

If you want to create a wireframe with actually dimensions I'd guess Photoshop would be a good alternative.
Where's that video walk-through?

I really enjoyed that...

skoz55
05-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks. I actually found that Visio is worked pretty well. Was a lot faster than photoshop.

I like to build all my divs first, then simply insert everything. So its' nice to have exact pixel dimensions of the layout.

Rob_Che
05-17-2009, 08:56 AM
skoz55 - that's building a site not designing one... I design it first (for looks) then work out how I can convert my concept (designer alert!) into code...

d a v e
05-17-2009, 09:08 AM
well working out the structure is part of the design, unless you think design is only the looks.

think of a building: when you design it, the whole thing is part of a - hopefully - well-designed concept, including layout and appearance.
i know that graphic design is traditionally thought of as appearance only but web (good/useful) design is about everything: appearance, function, form, layout, structure... It's not so important which way round you do it - either reconstruct a 'design' (i.e. a flat visual graphic design) and build it in divs etc, or whether you build the framework first and then 'skin' it - as long as both parts work together as part of the overall well designed site.

Design to me is form and function intertwined, working together.

Rob_Che
05-17-2009, 01:08 PM
well working out the structure is part of the design, unless you think design is only the looks.
Absolutely agree... y comment was really about not being tied into a grid or end up just filling divs with pictures. Get the usage right - get the graphic design right - THEN start the build. I see a lot of people who have a 'wireframe' built and then just start filling in the gaps with images.