PDA

View Full Version : Best way to set up a webpage?

AC5FF
05-14-2009, 02:28 AM
I haven't built a web page since the early 90's. Seems to be a LOT more difficult now. :D

Anyhow; my thoughts were to start with photoshop. I layed out everything that I wanted there and thought I could easily import that into DreamWeaver. Well, either I can't or I've missed it in the books/program...

I've attached a JPG of what I've created. Each of the elements in this is a different layer. I've got each layer also saved as an GIF or JPG.

What I want to do is set a fixed background as shown. All the text/information I want to put into the center window. I've got dual graphic files for each of the links at the top. what am I missing? Is putting a webpage that difficult now?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appriciated!
Thx

coloeagle
05-15-2009, 03:17 AM
In brief.

You would start with having a 'wrapper' div with the main image being the background.
A 'navigation' div with your links styled for inline layout using your images.
A 'content' div with the semi-transparent image as the background.

Now if your content is going to exceed the image you have you will need to split the image into 3 parts.

Middle
BottomThe middle image will repeat as need depending on the amount of text in it.

AC5FF
05-15-2009, 03:30 AM
Coloeagle...
Thanks for the tips. I've been doing some reading the past couple days now, but really haven't made any progress. Maybe this will get me going! :)

What I have been reading a lot on is AP elements; which I guess would be part of the <div>. I'll have to look up what you are meaning by 'wrapper' and 'navigation'. I think I know, but... gonna research anyway. :D

When I was asked to design/build this page I thought it would be a lot of fun. I remember having fun doing this years ago; I'm just floored how much things have changed.... :D

coloeagle
05-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Best to avoid AP divs if possible.

Wrapper and Navigation are just common names for the css class and id. Helps to name the div's for the purpose the serve. Makes future editing and changes easier.

For fun, css is loads more fun than straight html. You have to be careful as it is easy to get carried away with the power that css has.