PDA

View Full Version : nested frame?

wendy k
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
can someone explain to me what a "nested frame" is and when it would be most appropriate to use it?

i used to always use frames and can do it well, but I KNOW, it's not good practice and search engine don't like them. however, i am building this site right now that i really really feel needs framing! i thought nested frames might be a way to help. but i also want to use a spry drop down menu and it won't work with the type of framing i would need.

d a v e
05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
i can't think of a single instance when a site would need framing. can you post an idea of what you're trying to do and we might be able to suggest how best to go about (and for sure, that won't be be based on frames :)

the issue with the spry menu alone is enough to stop thinking about using frames anyway

wendy k
05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
hahaha! no love for frames! i used to love em... anyway... i am building a site for my daughters school that will have lots of info. it will look similar to this one i did for the PTA, sanderlinpta.org. so use that as reference. my thought was to make that main area to the right that holds info that changes page to page, a frame, so that is the only thing the people at her school would need to touch to do an update. i am going to have buttons to the left and spry at top that will never change, that's why i thought a frame would be easier for all involved. (i'm not getting paid that's why this has to be easy on me and update easy on them so they won't ask me to do them.) i soooo want to just use frames since i am most comforable with them and they keep things nice and neat, talk me outa it! :)

domedia
05-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Wendy, frames is a technology solemnly made for websites to be able to display external content, as in content from other websites. It's not a tool for 'designing' your website. You should probably change the practice you've gotten used to asap. It really does not reflect good on you as a web designer if you're not using the basic web standards that everyone else is using. Just because the website is a free one is not a good excuse for using frames either.

Now to the good news:
There's many people here that would just love to help you out in using best practices when building websites. 8)

Also, once you've left frames and started getting comfortable with regular web design, you'll never look back..

DWcourse
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
What program are you using to do the design and what will they be using to do the updates?

wendy k
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
i'll be using dreamweaver and they will be using dreamweaver for the updates too.:)

DWcourse
05-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Well, if the site were template based, they could only edit the portions of the site you make editable. Frames wouldn't be necessary.

Corrosive
05-19-2009, 04:34 PM
i'll be using dreamweaver and they will be using dreamweaver for the updates too.:)

Maybe think about using PHP includes function for the bits you want them to update. This should separate the update bits from the rest of the code in it's own page. Makes it easier to see what they are updating. Or use templates and Adobe Contribute.

wendy k
05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
well let me ask someone this.... i want to make a spry navigation system up top and then some buttons along the side just like this page http://www.sanderlinpta.org. exactly like it actually. each page in the whole website is an individual html page... when i change something in the spry menu or buttons i have to go to each of the 20 pages and make the change for each one on each page, which is painful and why i lean towards frames. is there a way to make a change once, that will then take effect for each individual page??? you usee what i am saying??? having that ability, would in itself save me from frames, but i don't knwo if it exsist! so dreamweaver guros, tell me, does it????;-)

Corrosive
05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Read me >>> http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

wendy k
05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
hmmmm... i read it... i will try it! it seems a little confusing. so, the first templete would be the spry menu and the buttons with none of the main content info as i get it, right? save that and then add the main content info individual pages.

Corrosive
05-27-2009, 05:01 PM
hmmmm... i read it... i will try it! it seems a little confusing. so, the first templete would be the spry menu and the buttons with none of the main content info as i get it, right? save that and then add the main content info individual pages.

Yes, that's pretty much it. It will all be in the manual that came with Dreamweaver as well.

DWcourse
05-27-2009, 06:25 PM
You can also use an include file which would pull the menu into the pages from a separate file. But you'll need to use php, asp, ssi or something similar to do it. The advantage is that you only have to change the include file and it shows up everywhere.