PDA

View Full Version : Background Image off center

kearnsy
05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Folks, this is probably a real simple fix but i just can't work out what to do.

I've created a background image in photoshop with dimensions of 1024 x 768 px. i've then saved that as a jpeg, opened dreamweaver, new file, page properties, then inserted the jpeg as a background image.

It fills the whole page great on my monitor (1024 x 768) but when i change the resolution on my monitor to say 800 x 600 the bg image is off center, or if i change the resolution to 1600 x 1200 there is a load of white speace to the right

can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

thanks folks

domedia
05-12-2009, 05:01 PM
If you place a 1024 image on a 1600 screen, it's not going to fill all the space. Nothing is wrong.

kearnsy
05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
hi thanks for replying

So what you are saying is, i can't just design a bg image to fill the whole page that will look right at all resolutions?

If i can't, how else would i go about designing a bg image?

sorry for the stupid questions but i'm totaly new to dreamweaver & web design in general

domedia
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
It really depends on the design.
A good practice would be to design the background so it can repeat, and then repeat the background using CSS.

Corrosive
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
hi thanks for replying

So what you are saying is, i can't just design a bg image to fill the whole page that will look right at all resolutions?

If i can't, how else would i go about designing a bg image?

sorry for the stupid questions but i'm totaly new to dreamweaver & web design in general

The answer to the first question is no, not really. You need to design your way around the look you want to have. I tend to stick to thinly sliced gradient backgrounds, which I repeat, or solid colours.

Corrosive
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
It really depends on the design.
A good practice would be to design the background so it can repeat, and then repeat the background using CSS.

He, he. Cross-posts there Dom.

kearnsy
05-13-2009, 11:10 AM
thanks very much chaps for your replies

i think it's a bit clearer now, i was trying to squash/stretch an image onto a page.

Corrosive
05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
thanks very much chaps for your replies

i think it's a bit clearer now, i was trying to squash/stretch an image onto a page.

One (of many) golden rules to live by when designing is don't let HTML resize images for you. Make sure the image is the correct size for what you need.

kearnsy
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
cheers Corrosive, as you can see, i've got a lot to learn, but, that's why i'm here:-D

Corrosive
05-13-2009, 11:44 AM
cheers Corrosive, as you can see, i've got a lot to learn, but, that's why i'm here:-D

Hey, no problem. It's a bit of a minefield when you first start out but you should have lots of fun learning and, when something does go right, it's well worth the effort :)