PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone developed or own an online store?

student101
05-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Has anyone developed or own an online store?
The reason for this is just to get the right information...

Let's say I develop an online shopping system or online cart;

What roles does the developer play in this?
I would think that he/she would...

not need to know the "innerworkings" of each payment gateway available, but know the "innerworkings" of the payment gateway the client needs to use?
rather suggest an "email system" as apposed to a literal "cart system"? (purely based on the fact that the client would need to pay monthly fees even if they don't make a sale for 6 months)What roles does the client play in this?
I would think that he/she would...

need to know the "innerworkings" of the payment gateway they need to use?
accept the email system, see how things work out, then change to the cart system if needed.Cheers

cocoonfx
05-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Hello Student

I have 3 shops - 2 of my own and 1 for a client.

For me you should use a cart system. Its database driven, it gives more flexibility for a user.

The client then just needs to decided on how they should be paid ie paypal, nomex, credit card etc....

I think you would over complicate things starting with a email system and then migrate to cart system.

oscommerce and zen cart are free and off the shelf. Both systems allow you to choose payment methods plus alot of additional tools.

Its then down to you to tailor the shops templates. I would not mess around thinking of two systems you run the risk of complications.

student101
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
I have 3 shops - 2 of my own and 1 for a client.
oscommerce and zen cart are free and off the shelf. Both systems allow you to choose payment methods plus alot of additional tools.

Wow that's cool,
I have and can develop an ASP cart system but PHP has got me at the point of what? where? how? then I give up on the PHP cart idea.
But yes, Oscommerce - downloaded and played a bit, pretty simple, only need to have a South African gateway involved.

Are your carts all in PHP?
Do you use the free versions or your own developed cart systems?

Cheers

cocoonfx
05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
i use oscommerce at the moment, simply as it is simple and quick to install and use.

domedia
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
No need for the client or the developer to know the "innerworkings" of the payment gateway works. The payment gateway should be able to give you the info you need to implement. Or like in the example of oscommerce, I'm sure most popular gateways are already very easily integrated by design.

student101
05-11-2009, 10:14 PM
No need for the client or the developer to know the "innerworkings" of the payment gateway works. The payment gateway should be able to give you the info you need to implement.
Valid point.
Learnt a lot here...

Select the cart option.
Select the gateway that works with the cart option.
Complete the site.
Test, test and Re-test until all bugs/issues are cleared if any.
Get paid!Cheers

student101
05-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Why have the Report Post icon when this happens??

student101, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

edbr
05-27-2009, 06:29 AM
dont know i just tried it and its ok domedia will check this I expect