PDA

View Full Version : How do i make my page look good at all resolutions?

kearnsy
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi folks, total newbie here, only been learning for about 1 week

I've designed a basic background image in photoshop (header, sub header, and a top to bottom gradient) with dimensions of 955 x 600 pixels after reading somewhere that this would be good for a screen res of 1024 x 768, is this right? or should i just do it at 1024 x 768?

I then imported that jpeg into dreamweaver and set that as my background image

The problem i have is how do i get the page to look right when i preview it at different resolutions?

if i preview it @ 800x600 it's off center, if it's at 1600x1200 there's a load of white space to the right

I've searched for the answer now since 5pm this evening and read a few conflicting opinions that have somewhat thrown me off track

Could anyone explain it in lehmans terms, or maybe point me in the direction of a tutorial that will explain it?

I'm thinking it's something to do with % vs pixels but what exatly i'm not sure, i've tried changing the height and width to % but it doesn't seem to make any difference

Thanks for any help offered, as i say i'm totaly new to dreamweaver cs3 and i'm still struggling to come to terms with the basics, but one thing going in my favour is i'm keen to learn

I'm prepared to put the hours in even if i have to go over and over something until it finaly clicks

DWcourse
05-10-2009, 11:40 PM
955 x 600 or so is good for a 1024 x 768 screen because it allows for scroll bars and other browser elements. 800 by 600 screens are becoming pretty rare (less than 5%).

You can use elastic layouts to handle those large monitors but, while that will eliminate lager areas of white space, it can allso lead to extremely long lines of type that are difficult to read (somewhere around 600 pixels wide is about as wide a column of type as most can scan comfortably). Besides, with that much real estate, do folks really open their browsers full screen?

No matter what you do, there will be trade offs.

edbr
05-11-2009, 12:44 AM
you could also consider 950 wide (or so) and centre it can look ok with higer res. and as Dw says i rarely open a browser 'fullscreen' if ever

kearnsy
05-12-2009, 09:49 AM
thanks for your replies folks

i think i'm jumping into the deep waters without any armbands at the moment

maybe i should get in the paddling pool first '0)

edbr
05-13-2009, 01:26 AM
no you'er good , get in there.

kearnsy
05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
pass me the armbands then '0)