PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Rocz (Roach)

Rocz
05-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey all,
I am new here and a semi-noob to the whole CS4 thing (just bought the full version and am in love with the package). Anyways, Ive been doing graphic design and page layout for a few years now, kind of stepped into the job as a fluke after being a custom car audio installer for over 16 years. People liked my art work I was incorporating into the designs so much I got offered a job. Recently I have returned to school at the age of 40 to obtain a degree in Visual Communications and Web Design. Most of my strengths are in Print Design, MS Office, and Adobe InDesign and Photoshop (I'm not a guru, but with the right mask and filter on I look like one)(sorry bad Photoshop joke).

I'm relatively new to HTML, XHTML and CSS and have completed enough courses now that I know just enough to get me into trouble. But its fun and I love the fact the whole suite ties into each other so nicely. Only piece of the package I find miserable is Fireworks, but it does seem to have its strengths too.

I've been using computers since day one and still have my Radio Shack model 1 kicking around in a box some place, along with a Commodore 64, TI 99/4a and some old 8" floppies. In all that time I have dabbled in programming and can handle VB.NET and C# to some degree.

Anyways, I have been looking for a good CS4 forum and this seems to be pretty dang good, so I think I'll stick around and see if I can offer anything in Photoshop and learn anything in DW and FW.

Oh ya, I'm a yank, I noticed pretty quick you blokes are from the other side of the pond, but that should work out as I'm on-line when you are all up and about.

Look forward to chatting more.

Peace
Rob Mroczka - pronounced 'mir oach ka' in Polish and 'mir oz ka' in English

Corrosive
05-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the forum. There are folks here from all over the world and quite a few Americans. It's just the British seem to be the most vocal!

edbr
05-11-2009, 01:56 AM
welcome yes we almost speak the same language. my first computer was a dragon 16, but i gave it up as a waste of time and didn't come back for years!!
Comodore 64 seemed pretty advanced in them days

Rob_Che
05-11-2009, 09:29 AM
my first computer was a dragon 16!
Mine was a Dragon 64 - POW!

edbr
05-11-2009, 09:35 AM
with cassette player for programs?

Rob_Che
05-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah, You could be enjoying Chuckie Egg in just FIFTEEN MINUTES!

davidj
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM
even worse if you had a multi game cassette and had to rely on the counter in order to queue up the next prog

d a v e
05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
even worse if you had a multi game cassette and had to rely on the counter in order to queue up the next prog
or press the fast-forward button while holding the paly button half down tyo get 'music' search when the machine didn't actually have it, adn listening out for the break in the beeeeeeeep-booop :)

Rob_Che
05-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I used to love the sound of a game loading... They call it 'Happy Hardcore' now... bloody kids.

coloeagle
05-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Welcome to the forum Rocz.

Well I have to plead ignorant when it comes to knowing what machines you all are talking about. :confused:

My first machine was an IBM PC Junior.

Rocz
05-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Same time period machine just a different wrapper.

They all had the same 8, 16 or if you were lucky 64k of ram. They had cheese basic interpreters built in and ran on a TV screen or if you were really lucky a color monitor. Tape drives were the standard, but My buddy had a Radio Shack II that had dual 8" floppies. And we both saved up all summer to buy a 5 1/4" floppy for the Commodore 64. Most of the machines ran on some version of the 8086 or 8088 microprocessor.

I remember copying basic programs out of magazines, setting up the auto dialer to dial all day, so we could come back at night and try to hack into systems. Ahhhh, and good Ole CompuServe, playing all night their on-line version of AD&D, think it was called Lamorte or something like that and your "character" was nothing more than a # on the screen.

I remember how excited we were when his dad bought him a Digital 286 Business Machine, so high tech! And we would spend days tinkering in DOS to squeeze out every bit of ram we could.

I think it was shortly after that my school got a couple of Apple IIe's (anyone remember programming in LOGO?) and how everyone thought it was so cool that I could right basic program to scroll my name across the screen.

Since then it has been a long list of computers I have owned, most I have built, a couple store bought but they were not as much fun.
I have a stack of chips on top of my tower, they are the CPU's from every machine I have had - Intel, AMD, Cyrix, Texas Instruments, Motorola
286, 386, 386 math co-processors, 486 40MHz, 486DX 80MHz, and the list goes on.

Ive always been an inside of the machine guy, more interested in tinkering with IRQ's and DMA's than using the machine for anything useful. Until I started to do graphic design, it was then I put the games away(WOW, LOTR, EVE, etc.) and really got into pushing the computer to the limits with print design.

Currently I'm running:
AMD Phenom 9150, Quad-Core
8gig DDR2 Ram
Dual Nvidia 9800gtx oc SLI 512meg ram Vid cards
Dual raid 1 800gig 10,000rpm HD's
Dual Flat panel Displays (1 17" HP HD, Rotateable to change aspect ratio and 1 21" AOC HD if I had the desk space I would add a third)
Sound Blaster X-fi with 5.1 Surrond with Altec Lansing Speakers
Wacom Intous3 8x11 Tablet (designers best friend)
Nostromos Game controller (this thing is great for keyboard short-cuts while using the tablet, one hand stays on the pen the other on this and I never have to look down.)
MS Wireless Keyboard & Laser Mouse
HP j6480 all-in one Deskjet and..
HP cp2025dn LaserJet (just got this, and the friggin image quality is awsome for the price, toner cartridges will kill ya in the wallet, but no more running to the printers for flyer's and stuff now)(and compared to how long the ink cartridge last in the Deskjet, I think I save more money printing color on this in the long run)

Add to this I have my old AMD dual-core running as a House/Printer server, I'm a pretty happy camper.

I have come a Long, Long ways from sitting around waiting for 10 minutes for software to load from tape, or having to tinker to get another K of memory out of Upper Memory.

I did forget to mention I have a BFG 1000 watt powersupply under the hood too, and when I am in the game mode and Dual boxing LOTR, the case sounds like it has a small jet engine in it, with all the fans going, that and you could probably just about pop corn from the heat it can put off, I tend to run slightly over-clocked and NEVER detune my video setting for games, so it can run a tad warm.

Ahh if it melts done Ill just get something better hehehe....the Ole lady says I spent more on the computer than on her last new car, while this is not true, wouldn't it be awsome to have such a budget for a home PC!

edbr
05-15-2009, 03:57 AM
just the double holsters with the pearl handled colts missing :)

Rocz
05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
LMAO! yup, Its good not having kids, I get to buy the toys I want to play with!

Corrosive
05-15-2009, 08:41 AM
how everyone thought it was so cool that I could right basic program to scroll my name across the screen.

I know some web designers who still think this is cool. It isn't btw :wink:

domedia
05-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Commodore 64 was my first box as well.
Remember hours copying tapes, and looking at the TV while the software was loading.

Rob_Che
05-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I have no idea what any of that means Rocz... I just draw pictures. I think I have 1gb of RAM though and 2.6 somethings in my processor. Does me proud... No idea what any of it does to be honest.

I've just been given a Macbook to work on at work. They're so stable and user friendly it seems... I hate to say it but my next home computer will be a Mac too!

davidj
05-19-2009, 11:19 PM
I hate to say it but my next home computer will be a Mac too!

arty farty pants