PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Nightmares

Rocz
05-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Hey all,
First want to say what a great forum you have here, I am realitively new to my Adobe CS4 and Web Design in general with most of my experience in print design and I have been looking for a great place for info and tips and this seems to be the place.

Ok, onto Fireworks, layouts and all that good stuff. Fortunatly I am new enough into web design that I only breifly ever touched on table layout styles and completly grasp and love CSS layout design (using an relative position div with and ap_div inside is alot like print layouts I can move an image container easy).

With that said, why is Fireworks so bad at it. Biggest problem I am having is I created a multi state navigation bar. Upon export about the best you can get from Fireworks is some really ugly looking HTML tables and java script that handles the mouse overs. Two problems I am having is one the mouse overs are slow to respond in IE, the second is the same as the previous thread, Fireworks loves to generate an image for every single cell of the table.

I would scrap the whole nav bar and just build it in DW, but I made my glass buttons with and emboss and outer glow and it will take me hours to crop each one (up, over, down, over_down) then saving them as a gif makes em look crappy as the glow breaks up, and saving as png just adds to the size of my pages.

You know what It will help if I give you something to look at, let me post my site and then come back and give you the link.

The big problem is I hate tables and would like a better way of handling the navbar. Give me a few and Ill post the site.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Rocz
05-10-2009, 07:39 AM
OK heres the site www.artisticdocumentdesigns.com (http://www.artisticdocumentdesigns.com) first I have it set right now to show you only two pages, the splash page, which is fine, all made in DW except for the image maps on the footer, but I don't have a problem with that. The second page 'home' lacks content but that doesn't matter at this stage, my biggest problem is with the nav, in IE it is slow to respond to mouse over and it is bulky as hell in the table format. Any suggestions changes or ideas would be great.

Ignore the fact all the links take you back to the splash page, I just don't like leaving broken links and did not want to screw around with that nav on all the other pages.

Obviously as a graphic designer, I will have a lot of images on my pages and anything I can do to lighten the load will help greatly. As far as website design, I only plan on offering basic page layouts, sites and site graphics, until I get better/quicker with Dreamweaver and Fireworks.

I understand and can work with (although new to it) HTML & CSS and some Java and PHP. I can code VB and C# so PHP and Java aren't really a big deal. I think part of the problem I may have though is if I need to use PHP I am not sure that MS Officelive supports it and they are the ones hosting my site. Its free hosting so I cant complain.

Rocz
05-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm sorry I just reviewed your posting procedures and I should have named this thread better such as, 'Fireworks Nav bar nightmares'. I'll do better in the future with new threads....please don't make me have a 'time out' *grin*

Rob Mroczka - BTW the user name is pronounced 'Roch'

Rocz
05-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Sorry, I realized I babbled a bit in my earlier questions.

My question is, Is there a better method to making multi-state (mouse_over, down, down_over) graphic rich navigation bar than using what Fireworks generates for Dreamweaver.

Should I just build each button and its states into a apDiv container and place them where I want them on the page. ( I guess I would have to create larger images to hold the emboss and glow all into the button image. )

While what I have looks good, I am not, however, a big fan of the code that was generated (do not really like tables) and the buttons seem to be slow to respond to different mouse states (mainly mouse_over & mouse_over_while _down).

My second question is, Is the slow response to the mouse_over a problem with there being so many button images loaded, or is it a problem with the Java script controlling mouse_over detection or is it a problem with IE 8.0?

Would putting the buttons into apDiv containers help speed up mouse_over response?

Corrosive
05-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Sorry, I realized I babbled a bit in my earlier questions.

My question is, Is there a better method to making multi-state (mouse_over, down, down_over) graphic rich navigation bar than using what Fireworks generates for Dreamweaver.

Should I just build each button and its states into a apDiv container and place them where I want them on the page. ( I guess I would have to create larger images to hold the emboss and glow all into the button image. )

While what I have looks good, I am not, however, a big fan of the code that was generated (do not really like tables) and the buttons seem to be slow to respond to different mouse states (mainly mouse_over & mouse_over_while _down).

My second question is, Is the slow response to the mouse_over a problem with there being so many button images loaded, or is it a problem with the Java script controlling mouse_over detection or is it a problem with IE 8.0?

Would putting the buttons into apDiv containers help speed up mouse_over response?

It's all about compromise. If you want to use rollover images for buttons then go for it but bear in mind that they will not be super quick or smart on every machine, every browser or at every connection speed. It might be more about who your audience are. personally I try and avoid rollover buttons unless they are really integral to the design.

Rocz
05-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Thats kind of what I thought. As the intention of my site is to both show off my designs and demonstrate my skills, I am sure as I go along I will have to balance Performance vs. Image quality vs. Browser Compatibility. While I have ample experience in Print Design, I am still just so new at this Web Design.

Fortunately, you guys have been great and just in few day have helped develop a better understanding of creating a "Good" website.

This may be out of place in this thread, but while I am here I would like to know if I have all of the main Browser out there needed to do full testing.

Currently I have:
Opera
Chrome
FireFox
Safari
IE8
IE6 & 7 running under virtual machine.

Is the compatibility checker on DW good enough for testing handheld devices?

Thanks again all.

edbr
05-14-2009, 08:52 AM
list looks fine to me, and finally theres always browsershots.org for all the sizes in all the colours

Rocz
05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Good to know, Thanks

Rocz
05-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Oh Damn! that Browser Shots is great Thanks again!