PDA

View Full Version : Make a Layer (AP DIV) an Editable Region (and movable) in a Page From a Template

RaycerX
05-10-2009, 04:40 AM
I've created a page from a template and would like to be able to move and add text inside some AP Divs that I made in the template. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to do that.

I know how to swap out one image with another and make text editable from page to page, but I need to be able to add/change text inside an AP Div AND move the DIV around the page, as well.

Any ideas out there. My knowledge of templates has been limited to a few video tutorials and what I want to do hasn't been covered by any of them as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Ray

DWcourse
05-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Assuming you're working in Dreamweaver, you should just be able to click in the div and edit it unless it's locked in the template. In that case you'll need to add an editable region inside the div in the template.

If a div is behind another div, you can select it by clicking on it's name in the AP Elements panel (menu: Windows>AP Elements). Once the div is selected, you can edit within it.

To move an AP Element, you'll need to drag it to the new position or edit the CSS positioning.

renebenthien
07-06-2009, 12:34 PM
To move an AP Element, you'll need to drag it to the new position or edit the CSS positioning.

Hi.

The ap div I want to edit from page to page has been made editable, but I can't seem to change the size of it, only the content. How do I change the template so that I can change the CSS of properties of this Div?

Corrosive
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi.

The ap div I want to edit from page to page has been made editable, but I can't seem to change the size of it, only the content. How do I change the template so that I can change the CSS of properties of this Div?

If your styles are in a separate sheet (which I suggest they ought to be) they will not be influenced by being part of a template or not. You can change the apdiv positioning as much as you want in the style sheet.

DWcourse
07-06-2009, 06:05 PM
did you put the opening and closing div tags INSIDE the editable region?

renebenthien
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
@DWCourse: Yes the editable region is outside the relevant div. When I change the size it says "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by template...change will be discarded".

@Corrosive: I need the div size to be different on each page. Everything else outside that div should be inherited from the template.

DWcourse
07-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I think we're going to need to see the files (too many possibilities to address them all).

renebenthien
07-07-2009, 12:35 AM
The issue is with:
http://blackjuly.info/video.html

The apDiv I wanted to resize was the outside apDiv of three nested divs. I tried deleting the CSS height parameter (what I wanted resized) for the outside div but that obviously resulted in it shrinking to nothing as there was no content other than the inner apDivs.

Should I just be using tables to set them out like that?

Other files on the site don't have three apDivs floating around like that so I was able to templatify them.

renebenthien
07-07-2009, 12:41 AM
apDivMainContent is the one that I would like to resize for different pages.

DWcourse
07-07-2009, 01:54 AM
The issue is with:
http://blackjuly.info/video.html
That page isn't atemplate-based page.

MagicPower
07-07-2009, 07:06 AM
what yo tryin 2 say is that when you duplicate "video.html" and get more pages, you want apdivmaincontent to be resized depending on the size of the content in it on a different page from the "video.html"

renebenthien
07-07-2009, 09:24 AM
what yo tryin 2 say is that when you duplicate "video.html" and get more pages, you want apdivmaincontent to be resized depending on the size of the content in it on a different page from the "video.html"

Lol I do need to get some English lessons before I post questions on forums.

That actually wasn't the original task, but if you can tell me how to do what you describe then I can apply it to my own very similar problem.

@DWCourse: Yes I couldn't get video.html to be template-based because of aforementioned issue. I did however manage to get the rest of the pages on that site to be template based:
http://blackjuly.info/index.html etc...

not sure if I'm breaking forum rules by posting links to a political website? Should I remove them once we have an answer for this?

renebenthien
07-07-2009, 10:08 AM
http://blackjuly.info/video-t.html is my attempt at making video.html template-based. As you can see the divMainContent isn't sized properly. If I were to manually change it it would change the CSS rules in superstylish.css and then it would wreck divMainContent in all the other pages.

EDIT: fixed (sort of): I just made another style sheet for the 'difficult pages' and replaced divMainContent with divMainVideoContent.

Corrosive
07-07-2009, 10:11 AM
http://blackjuly.info/video-t.html is my attempt at making video.html template-based. As you can see the divMainContent isn't sized properly. If I were to manually change it it would change the CSS rules in superstylish.css and then it would wreck divMainContent in all the other pages.

I'm not sure why you need to give it a size. Don't specify any dimensions and it should expand to fit whatever you put in it.