PDA

View Full Version : Open Browser Window

Ricky55
05-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi

I'm doing a site at the moment that's aimed at kids and its going to have a few images that they can print out and colour in.

When the image is viewed I need a print button.

I could just use open browser window but this just seems a little lame now a days when you see all the fancy stuff done with things like lightbox, the only problem I'm having with things like lightbox is when the user tries to print it prints the whole page including the main window underneath.

Does any one know of any other tool or way of doing this that would look a but more sleek than just opening a new browser window?

Thanks

Richard

Ps
Its probably clear but just so you know I'm doing this type of thing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/barnabybear/colour/

The BBC have just open a new browser window but it just looks a bit crap to my mind.

DWcourse
05-06-2009, 10:15 PM
you could use a print CSS style sheet to hide all the background stuff (but then they wouldn't be able to print the regular page).

<link href="styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" />If you have a div wrapping around your whole layout maybe just set that to visibility:hidden or display:none for the print styles.

Corrosive
05-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Hi

I'm doing a site at the moment that's aimed at kids and its going to have a few images that they can print out and colour in.

When the image is viewed I need a print button.

I could just use open browser window but this just seems a little lame now a days when you see all the fancy stuff done with things like lightbox, the only problem I'm having with things like lightbox is when the user tries to print it prints the whole page including the main window underneath.

Does any one know of any other tool or way of doing this that would look a but more sleek than just opening a new browser window?

Thanks

Richard

Ps
Its probably clear but just so you know I'm doing this type of thing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/barnabybear/colour/

The BBC have just open a new browser window but it just looks a bit crap to my mind.

You could use Thickbox to open an iframe and have the printable content in that. No idea if it will work but worth a shot.

Ricky55
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks.

I think I'd have the same issues with Thickbox.

DWCourse, I hadn't considered using a separate style sheet, might be some milage in that idea.

Thanks

Corrosive
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks.

I think I'd have the same issues with Thickbox.

Yes, think you might be right there.

You could offer two links on each, one to view and one to print and offer the print as a PDF. Just a thought.