PDA

View Full Version : how can i make shadows other than the layer style ?

silverglade
04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
hi, i was wondering how can i make shadows other than the layer style ?
any help greatly appreciated. thanks. derek

DWcourse
04-30-2009, 11:20 PM
You can fake the shadows by using images with the shadows built in. For a gif or jpg just fade the shadow into the background image.

PNG images have true transparency so you can make a shadow fade to trasparent and it will look good over any background. But IE6 doesn't support PNG transparency without some tinkering on your part.

Rob_Che
05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
hi, i was wondering how can i make shadows other than the layer style ?
any help greatly appreciated. thanks. derek
Desaturate the image. Drop it to a layer below. Gaussian blur. Set to multiply. Move it to where you like - this will determine the distance of the drop.

Rocz
05-14-2009, 03:09 AM
Hey DW, I just ran into this exact problem of my png image not displaying properly on IE 6.0.

I created a glass ball button that had no background as I was using it on page with a gradient background.

So instead of reseting the background of the button every time I moved it on the page I figure simple solution was to make it a png. But like you said in a earlier post, to my surprise, IE 6.0 doesn't handle it too well.

Mind pointing me in the right direction as to where I could find the work around for this.

DWcourse
05-14-2009, 04:01 AM
IE6 can't handle transparency in pngs without some help http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pnghowto.htm is one solution. There are others.

Rocz
05-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks again for all your help DW. Your a wealth of information for sure.
The only reason I even discovered this problem is I work part-time as a graphic/layout designer at my local library and I went to show someone my Web page design and the dang Enter Button came up with a nasty white background.

I checked their version of IE and it was 6.0, which surprised the hell out of me but I think it must be the default browser for the server version they are using.

I would guess this is were you will most often come across older browser, is with older servers like NT and 2000

Thanks Again,
Rob

edbr
05-14-2009, 07:03 AM
have a look at downloading ietester, it shows simulations of 1E 5 > 8

Rob_Che
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
First thing I do before fixing the issue is think if anyone in the target audience is actually likely to be on IE6. I rarely fix PNGs these days personally...

silverglade
05-17-2009, 10:47 AM
great thank you for the replies. derek:mrgreen: