PDA

View Full Version : css help for beginner, alignment and such!

mikej09
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I am using dreamweaver cs4, i understand the basics of css and pretty good understanding of html.

now here is my problem, i keep reading it isn't good to use tables for web page/site layout so what am i to do?

how do i align the page accurately from a blank html page without tables?
how do i add in links / text for links on top of images? what is the best way to link for seo?

i just can't quite fully understand or grasp the concept of perfect alignment? is it better to use fixed or liquid/elastic for a general ecommerce website?

in dreamweaver it has "sidebar" "container" "header", etc.

what are the standards, i never heard of container until dreamweaver?
what are the standards for creating a page from scratch, i only ever knew of body, sidebar, header, footer for the basics.

what is the standard universal link that is best for seo?

i am trying to design this best for seo while going instead of doing all seo at the end.

Corrosive
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
I am using dreamweaver cs4, i understand the basics of css and pretty good understanding of html.

now here is my problem, i keep reading it isn't good to use tables for web page/site layout so what am i to do?

how do i add in links / text for links on top of images? what is the best way to link for seo?

i just can't quite fully understand or grasp the concept of perfect alignment? is it better to use fixed or liquid/elastic for a general ecommerce website?

in dreamweaver it has "sidebar" "container" "header", etc.

what are the standards, i never heard of container until dreamweaver?
what are the standards for creating a page from scratch, i only ever knew of body, sidebar, header, footer for the basics.

what is the standard universal link that is best for seo?

i am trying to design this best for seo while going instead of doing all seo at the end.

If you are doing e-commerce then why not look at a free OS cart like Zencart or OSCommerce? (Google these). No point in re-inventing the wheel and you can concentrate on the important stuff like running your business!

DWcourse
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Corrosive's got it right. You have the choice of learning programming or taking care of business. You should be able to find plenty of tutorials or templates to help you adjust the look of the cart to fit in with your site.

mikej09
04-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Corrosive's got it right. You have the choice of learning programming or taking care of business. You should be able to find plenty of tutorials or templates to help you adjust the look of the cart to fit in with your site.

im not to concerned with the cart, i want to learn the web design portion, no offense, but i would appreciate an answer to the question, not advice on which path to take for my business.

i have a plan down for myself and this is the next step in it.

DWcourse
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
No offense taken but you can't get a whole web development fo e-commerce course out of one forum question. So I'll pick one question and answer it.

For SEO purposes, text links are generally superior to image links provide, of course the text is well chosen.

Corrosive
04-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Go on then. I'll take one as well...

Using div tags positioned with CSS.