PDA

View Full Version : Simplifyng Templates

walkamongus
04-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey, soon Ill be building a site that a client wants to be able to update. They have "minimal" DW skills. My plan is to use one template for the entire site and make it as minimal and easy to navigate as possible. Does anyone have any tips as to how to make it easy for them to change content? Thanks!

Corrosive
04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey, soon Ill be building a site that a client wants to be able to update. They have "minimal" DW skills. My plan is to use one template for the entire site and make it as minimal and easy to navigate as possible. Does anyone have any tips as to how to make it easy for them to change content? Thanks!

Have you looked at Contribute??

http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/

DWcourse
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Dreamweaver CS4 also supports In-Context Editing http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/incontextediting/

It requires an Adobe account but no additional software.

walkamongus
04-30-2009, 04:29 AM
thanks for the replies. contribute would be an option but i dont have an extra 200 bucks to spend. id like to keep it within CS3. i guess ill just keep the templates super simple and be ready to ally-oop any changes that my client may have trouble with 8)

edbr
04-30-2009, 04:34 AM
it may not be practicle but it is possible to have content as an include , the client could update edit the file ( ie a .txt file) , then upload that to the server

Corrosive
04-30-2009, 06:17 AM
thanks for the replies. contribute would be an option but i dont have an extra 200 bucks to spend. id like to keep it within CS3. i guess ill just keep the templates super simple and be ready to ally-oop any changes that my client may have trouble with 8)

In that case I'd just use a very simple template layout, header, menu, content, footer and then add just one editable region on each page. All your client would have to do is add text and images as required and they shouldn't go far wrong. Make sure they take backups before making major changes as well.