PDA

View Full Version : Transperant Tables

Ironmantrunx
04-29-2009, 05:53 AM
I apologize ahead of time, I have been searching all night for an answer, and I am probably delirious by now. I have not used Dreamweaver in about 5 years or made any website in about that amount of time. I have forgotten pretty much everything about .css and .html in that time. Please be kind I am very very green once again.

I am making a site in Dreamweaver MX also using Fireworks MX, and I would like to make a table that has a grey semi-transparent background so I will be able to see the background image on the site. I will be having text in these cells that I do not want to be transparent. I am having an issue as all the posts I have found online assumed that my understanding is more than the very basic level I am at. If you can spell it out or help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kris

domedia
04-29-2009, 06:40 AM
This might be too technical for you. If it is I recommend starting with some HTML and CSS tutorials. If you've forgotten HTML (like you said), you'd be better off refreshing your skills instead of trying to achieve this.

The short answer is that we're not quite there yet, with transparency. The opacity property in CSS is not supported as much as is needed (*cough* IE), but if you want to try use the CSS property opacity, like so:
.yourbackgroundClass {opacity: 0.5;}

You can also use the alpha channel if you specify your background color using RGB, like so:
.yourbackgroundClass {background: rgba(255, 0, 0, 0.6);}
In the last example the three values sets the red, green, blue and alpa channel respectively. The alpha channel goes from 0 to 1.0. This technique also has limited browser support (it's part of CSS 3).

We have some very smart members here though, so I'm sure some might have some tricks up their sleeve.

Ironmantrunx
04-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Thank you, and yea I have been trying to read up on some tutorials to try to start jogging my memory. I was just trying to get this part done as soon as possible. I thank you for the assistance I am going to try those things when I can find a minute. If anyone else has any of the tricks or tips they would be appreciated too.

Kris