PDA

View Full Version : linking external sites to an iframe

mocheesehead
04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Hello All,

I am completely reworking a site that *was* built with frames and now using CSS. I am learning slowly! Here is my question. My new site has three divs, a top "menu", a right column and a main area. I would say 90% of my site content is original and 10% is other pages I'd like to pull in. In the old days, I'd just tell the link to an external site to point to a particular frame. done. This way I'd make one "master" site and then just link internal or external content into the main frame.

With my new site, here is a more detailed example. I am creating indvidual pages for each faculty member in my department that "introduces" them, then I have a link for their email address and a resume/vita that is stored on our overall universities web servers. When I click on the resume link, I'd like it to open in the main div. The way I am seeing this, I'll have to make two pages to do this...faculty1.htm and faculty1resume.htm (with the resume content in an iframe)

Hopefully I have described this well enough. I understand all of the issues with regular frames, but they seem so much slicker than using iframes.

Somebody please straighten me out on this and if there is a more elegant way to accomplish what I want, I am all ears!

Thanks a bunch!

Pat

domedia
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
If you're linking in external content, frames/iframes is the right way to do it. That is what they were made for.

mocheesehead
04-28-2009, 10:40 PM
That's what I was fearing you'd say :)

Thanks anyways for the response...I'm sure I'll have more silly questions!
Pat

DWcourse
04-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Make one page (faculty.html) with an iframe and give the iframe a name.

Automatically load the intro.html into the iframe

Set the target of the resume link to the iframe (i.e. open the resume in the existing iframe replacing intro.html)