PDA

View Full Version : Need Advices before starting a web design from scratch

sayian_z
04-27-2009, 03:29 AM
I want to start a web design but first I need to know the correct way to go.

1st Q: suppose I have 10 pages website, say I want to change the navigation bar with its links, do I go to every page and change them manually or there is a more efficient way to do it?

2nd Q: I read in this forum about divs being betters than tables, can I rearrange every div in my pages through css only(the whole layout of the website)?

your answers will be appreciated :-)

edbr
04-27-2009, 04:29 AM
1 use includes to add the navbar , in that case all you would have to do is change 1 file and it will be 'included' in all
2 yes, you can. divs is the best way ,use a link from the pages to an external css sheet and once again you can change , appearance site wide where those elements are used

sayian_z
04-27-2009, 03:46 PM
thanks :) but where can I find tutorials on how to use includes?
does dreamweaver take care of the includes?

Corrosive
04-27-2009, 03:51 PM
thanks :) but where can I find tutorials on how to use includes?
does dreamweaver take care of the includes?

Dreamweaver can create includes for you. Use Insert > PHP Object > Include.

Check the 'help' files for more info.

DWcourse
04-27-2009, 04:05 PM
If you use a php include (which is a good recommendation) you'll either need to make sure your files end with .php rather than .html or that your server is set up to interpret php within .html files (and for that matter that your servr supports php but almost all of them do).

DWcourse
04-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Oh, and you won't see your menu in Dreamweaver, just a small php placeholder icon.

sayian_z
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
It's good thing I have a simple knowledge of php :P
so there's no include in html >.>
thanks guys
any other advice for private would be good :)

DWcourse
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
well, while you at it you might as well make your footer info an include as well, at least if you have something like 2008 in it and don't want to have to update every page.

sayian_z
04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
well, while you at it you might as well make your footer info an include as well, at least if you have something like 2008 in it and don't want to have to update every page.
about the include files:
they have to be .php right? do I put normal html code inside or I need to put some php tags for the include to work?
and do include files have styles in them or that's bad attempt?

DWcourse
04-27-2009, 05:32 PM
yes .php, the rest of the page can be normal html just surround your include call with <?php --- ?> something like this:

<?php include ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/includes/menu.php');?>

m1a2x3x7
04-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I would suggest making a dw template and styling it with CSS. Anything that will look the same on every page such as your layout, menus, backgrounds will all be on 1 page and then if you need to change something all you change is your main template and CSS.

sayian_z
04-27-2009, 08:07 PM
I would suggest making a dw template and styling it with CSS. Anything that will look the same on every page such as your layout, menus, backgrounds will all be on 1 page and then if you need to change something all you change is your main template and CSS.
that's what I'm doing now but I was thinking if someone(who doesnt know DW) after me came to change my website, he wouldn't have problem doing so.
you see I want to make the website flexible and can be manipulated in the future and I'm still learning :smile: and I think include is good :grin:

domedia
04-27-2009, 08:10 PM
that's what I'm doing now but I was thinking if someone(who doesnt know DW) after me came to change my website, he wouldn't have problem doing so. This is the first time this came up, you did not mention it previously.

Two suggestions:
1. Look into Adobe Contribute that integrates with the template system
2. Integrate with a CMS system

sayian_z
04-27-2009, 08:16 PM
This is the first time this came up, you did not mention it previously.

Two suggestions:
1. Look into Adobe Contribute that integrates with the template system
2. Integrate with a CMS system
sorry for not mentioning it before, but what's adobe contribute? :confused:

edbr
04-28-2009, 12:29 AM
<!--#include FILE="b.inc" --> one use that to include in html?

maartenvr
04-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Note that you can also use the Templates feature in DreamWeaver

domedia
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
sorry for not mentioning it before, but what's adobe contribute? :confused: Google is your friend. It's a piece of software from Adobe. 8)

DWcourse
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Adobe contribute is basically an Content management system that recognizes Dreamweaver templates, It lets users update content online and even saves a few past versions of pages so that they can be rolled back if necessary.

DW CS4 also comes with In-Context Editing which allows you to insert content areas that can be edited online through an Adobe account.