PDA

View Full Version : Screen Resolution

bmaniara92
04-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm using Dreamweaver CS3. I just recently created a website but it is incomplete. The problem is, I created the website in Dreamweaver according to my computer monitor's 1440x900 screen resolution standard. I know that many computers don't use that yet. Is there any code or something like that, which I can use in Dreamweaver so that my web page will automatically adjust to anyone's screen resolution?

Here is my website if you want to see what I am talking about:

http://www.nhpbvtennis.oxyhost.com (http://www.nhpbvtennis.oxyhost.com/)

I would greatly appreciate some help

davidj
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
you need to optimise your design for all monitors using a fluid design using CSS

Your using a table for layout which is the wrong route. Also you have no text in your pages so the search engines wont be able to index your site. You need to rethink the design and start again. Follow some basic CSS tutorials and take it from there

bmaniara92
04-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm sorry. I don't really know much about CSS. I am only fluent in HTML. Also, I do have text in my pages, just not in the homepage. I don't mind if search engines can't find my site. This site is only for use for a certain group of friends of mine. Is there anyway at all that I can make my site auto-adjust to everyone's screen resolution?

davidj
04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
you have to use CSS

put the coffee on, switch the desk light on and start sucking up that information

http://www.csszengarden.com/

bmaniara92
04-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Darn. I don't have the time to do that. I have too much school work and SAT's and other things coming up. I won't have time to learn that until summer, which is like 2 1/2 months from now.

davidj
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
you dont need to understand it all

Just learn what you need to acheive what your after. It wont take that long. Small steps

bmaniara92
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
The problem is, it took me about 9 hours to create that website. I don't want to start all over again. I barely have enough time to finish the rest of that site.

davidj
04-26-2009, 11:55 PM
ok

thats the nature of web development. It all takes time

I have advised what you have to do.

I dont know what else i can do for you

bmaniara92
04-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Well, thanks for your time. Sorry for disturbing you. I probably won't be able to fix this site any time soon.

davidj
04-27-2009, 12:35 AM
no problem

you didnt disturb me

get some time together and get that learning muscle into gear

DWcourse
04-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Sorry, there's no magic bullet that will shrink a website. While the site doesn't exactly fit a 1024 pixel wide monitor, it's still fairly usable so if it's just for friends, I wouldn't be too concerned about it until you get time to fix it.

David is right that CSS is the right way to do things (and might have been a magic bullet if you'd started with the site in CSS). If you plan to create more sites and especially if you'll be doing it professionally invest the time to learn it. But, if it's just for friends, whatever gets the job done…

domedia
04-27-2009, 05:37 AM
Just want to chime in and agree with everyone here. If you had been using web standards from the start, changing layout would (might) have been a breeze..

Rob_Che
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, thanks for your time. Sorry for disturbing you. I probably won't be able to fix this site any time soon.
We can't just give you a bunch of code to paste in to fix it - it's not like that.

If you don't want to 'learn' how do you expect to do it next time? Do you ask someone how to insert an image into HTML every time you do it? I'm assuming not - If you're 'fluent' in HTML then CSS isn't such a big leap.

There are tons of templates online to play with but the way you have built your site has made it impossible to resize.

Rob

edit: beaten to it...

davidj
04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
We can't just give you a bunch of code to paste in to fix it - it's not like that

i knew that was what was wanted but I wouldnt bring the subject up therefore the option didnt exist!