PDA

View Full Version : lists lists lists

wayne78
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
hi all...i am wanting to create a drop down list (not a drop down menu) the list is to contain a list of fonts for some one to choose a font from!

i have been using the LIST/MENU button on the FORMS tab, as there are a megga load of fonts i tried to copy and paste but it would only let me do 1by1..(its gonna take forever!)
i also wanted the fonts to be wrote in there font style so i copy and pasted into the sorce code it didnt work!!!!!! could some one please assist me?.

thank you Wayne.

Corrosive
04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
hi all...i am wanting to create a drop down list (not a drop down menu) the list is to contain a list of fonts for some one to choose a font from!

i have been using the LIST/MENU button on the FORMS tab, as there are a megga load of fonts i tried to copy and paste but it would only let me do 1by1..(its gonna take forever!)
i also wanted the fonts to be wrote in there font style so i copy and pasted into the sorce code it didnt work!!!!!! could some one please assist me?.

thank you Wayne.

Please don't 'double post' mate. I've deleted your other one.

Corrosive
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM

thank you Wayne.

To answer your question you are going to need to rethink this one. If you ask the browser to render different fonts it will only have the fonts which are on the users PC this might defeat the object of what you are trying to do and it will not work.

Maybe use images (jpegs) of each font?

Might be good to have an idea of why you are doing this and what you want to achieve.

wayne78
04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
The fonts are for a t-shirt printing company website when people have chosen the color and font color of the t-shirt they can then choose a font..... So i wanted all the styles aswell as names....have you any idea how if i use jpeg's of the font names how would i form the list as a drop down?

Ricky55
04-22-2009, 02:11 PM
You could do this in Flash as you can use any font as they can be embedded.

Corrosive
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
You could do this in Flash as you can use any font as they can be embedded.

That is a really good shout Ricky. I think it may be your answer :)

davidj
04-22-2009, 03:05 PM
agreed

A very rare occurrence where flash is a good fit for such a task.

domedia
04-22-2009, 04:09 PM
you can create the image server side, with any font available. No need for flash.

Corrosive
04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
you can create the image server side, with any font available. No need for flash.

Could you explain a little further please Dom as I had a use for something similar a little while back but thought that output will still be dependant on the viewers font set. I am intrigued.

domedia
04-22-2009, 05:41 PM
There's classes in PHP to make PDF's , graphics, SVG etc. All with using font files on the server. We do it all the time. For specific instructions on how to do this you would have to get with a programmer. You know me, I live most of the time in the front end world.

davidj
04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
the gd library can use any font on the server specified in the code

it is used to create dynamic images like the captcha one you wrote toby