PDA

View Full Version : more on SEO

davidj
04-21-2009, 09:03 PM
just done a search for my site using some regular keywords

i have lost my original place and found my site 3 pages back but under a domain i dont use. 1&1 emailed me to say they submitted the site for me. Could they have done this damage by registering the wrong one?

Whats the impact of having multiple domains pointing to the same site?

cocoonfx
04-21-2009, 09:29 PM
possibly it depends how the listed you if they have done a manual submission or an automated one, also i have read that having a few domain names redirecting could be seen as spam. I will have to think where i read that, i will check my book marks and get back to you.

edbr
04-22-2009, 02:11 AM
Could they have done this damage by registering the wrong one?

yes they could have ,but google would have found it eventually. it looks like they are viewing it as duplicate content therefore your effectiveness is being divided.
sitemap verified with google might help but im not sure
i would say you will not gain from having more domains point to you though

davidj
04-22-2009, 07:09 AM
i have pointed my unused domains to a affilaite advertising page from 1&1 and have started again with SEO

i have created a site map for my codezenith domain and will now wait as if its day 1 all over again

domedia
04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Whats the impact of having multiple domains pointing to the same site? Exactly what you're experiencing. The SE's have no idea which one is the right one and will pick only one and bury the other one. They're not in the business of displaying search results that are exactly the same.

Basic domain strategy says to only use one - 1- domain.

domedia
04-22-2009, 04:43 PM
i have pointed my unused domains to a affilaite advertising page from 1&1 and have started again with SEO
You're making it worse. Go into Apache a do a 301 permanent redirect from the domain you don't want to use, to the one you want to use.

domedia
04-22-2009, 04:47 PM
[CODE]it looks like they are viewing it as duplicate content therefore your effectiveness is being divided.
Nope, it's all or nothing. No modern search engine is going to spread the joy around different sites if there's duplicate content involved. I will try to establish which one is the original one and get rid of the other ones.
sitemap verified with google might help but im not sure Yes, Google xml maps have nothing to do with this issue.