PDA

View Full Version : Creating accounts and dynamic data

Mucky
04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Hello everyone,
Sorry for that poor Title but I don't even know what I need to know yet :roll: so I will explain here what i want to achieve and perhaps someone here can tell me what I need to learn to achieve this.

I want to create a site in dreamweaver where people can have their own accounts, log in and play games I have created in flash.
I also need to incorporate a database that can store points/credits and dynamically update this information to the site.

So I need to learn how to create a registration form. and have them log in.
How to store their information on a database.(even create the database as well)
How to be able to update and retrieve information from that database in real time, so for example they are playing a game and have 10pnts and next turn they have 15pnts I need this information to be displayed within my flash game and constantly updated to the database so that when they next log in they can start from where they left off.

Where do I start? :confused:

Sorry if the questions are a little confused and convoluted, I am a little lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Corrosive
04-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Hello everyone,
Sorry for that poor Title but I don't even know what I need to know yet :roll: so I will explain here what i want to achieve and perhaps someone here can tell me what I need to learn to achieve this.

I want to create a site in dreamweaver where people can have their own accounts, log in and play games I have created in flash.
I also need to incorporate a database that can store points/credits and dynamically update this information to the site.

So I need to learn how to create a registration form. and have them log in.
How to store their information on a database.(even create the database as well)
How to be able to update and retrieve information from that database in real time, so for example they are playing a game and have 10pnts and next turn they have 15pnts I need this information to be displayed within my flash game and constantly updated to the database so that when they next log in they can start from where they left off.

Where do I start? :confused:

Sorry if the questions are a little confused and convoluted, I am a little lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be useful to know what your skill levels are. Obviously you know flash (good stuff). How is your HTML and CSS? Do you know any server side languages PHP, asp? How are your database skills SQL etc?

Mucky
04-21-2009, 04:35 PM
It would be useful to know what your skill levels are. Obviously you know flash (good stuff). How is your HTML and CSS? Do you know any server side languages PHP, asp? How are your database skills SQL etc?

My HTML and CSS skills are none existent.
I also do not know any server side languages. :(

The thing is I was trying to find out which of these If not all I need to learn and if there were any software packages that brought them altogether.
Learning everything from scratch is so very time consuming.
I realize my project is ambitious for someone with such a limited level of knowledge but I learn quickly.
Perhaps I am looking for shortcuts where there are none?

Corrosive
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
My HTML and CSS skills are none existent.
I also do not know any server side languages. :(

The thing is I was trying to find out which of these If not all I need to learn and if there were any software packages that brought them altogether.
Learning everything from scratch is so very time consuming.
I realize my project is ambitious for someone with such a limited level of knowledge but I learn quickly.
Perhaps I am looking for shortcuts where there are none?

To be honest you need to learn these skills to do your project. Don't be put off if it is something you want to do but be prepared for a steep learning curve! OK, HTML & CSS first, then probably PHP and Mysql (there is a guy on these forums called davidj who may be able to help you with this :wink: ) I'm afraid there is no 'quick' solution. Sorry dude.

Mucky
04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
To be honest you need to learn these skills to do your project. Don't be put off if it is something you want to do but be prepared for a steep learning curve! OK, HTML & CSS first, then probably PHP and Mysql (there is a guy on these forums called davidj who may be able to help you with this :wink: ) I'm afraid there is no 'quick' solution. Sorry dude.

Ahh I see, thanks.
That is probably where I was getting confused then, looking for a quick fix.

So I feel I would be best served learning as I go, is it possible for me to set up my site first without publishing it and then add these elements as I learn?

edbr
04-22-2009, 03:03 AM
install a local server. wamp, easyphp, apache2triad, xampp these will install php, mysql and an apache server.
then you can develop and learn locally

davidj
04-22-2009, 07:01 AM
get your head around HTML and CSS first though

Mucky
04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Guys, much appreciated.
Back to school :)