PDA

View Full Version : tables misbehaving

RainForest
04-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Hello,

I can't seem to insert a table into my template and have it center in the page. I select center, the code *says* the table is centered, and it appears centered in DW, but when I preview it or make it live, it's left justified.

Corrosive
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Hello,

I can't seem to insert a table into my template and have it center in the page. I select center, the code *says* the table is centered, and it appears centered in DW, but when I preview it or make it live, it's left justified.

You probably have an over-riding style somewhere. can you post a URL?

d a v e
04-21-2009, 02:11 PM
you're not using a table for layout purposes are you? ;)

RainForest
04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Here's the URL: http://tinyurl.com/dag5bc

The page is based on a template. The template does use a layout table.

A secondary problem I'm experiencing is that I can't get the table to display without borders, even when I apply a class style to the table (the above URL does not have the ".noborders" style applied). Any ideas on that one?

d a v e
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
in the css file change this
td,th, tr { padding: 10px;
background-color: #000000;
border: 2px outset #73A29C;
}
to this

td,th, tr { padding: 10px;
background-color: #000000;
border: 0;
}

and add
table {border:0;} to the stylesheet

RainForest
04-22-2009, 12:36 AM
I think I wasn't clear - I don't want to remove ALL the borders - just on the nested table. That's why I created a style that I called .noborders, so I could apply it just to the table(s) I want...

The code you've provided would remove all the borders, no?

d a v e
04-22-2009, 03:13 AM
i see no .noborders anywhere in your html or your css: probably why it's not working ;)

NEWGEEK
04-24-2009, 09:17 AM
you're not using a table for layout purposes are you? ;)

Do you mean that using a table for layout purpose is wrong move if so what is the right move? I use a table to insert a swf file that is the layout.:mad:

d a v e
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Do you mean that using a table for layout purpose is wrong move if so what is the right move? I use a table to insert a swf file that is the layout.:mad:

insert it in either a paragraph or a div

domedia
04-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Use tables to display tabular data, like in a spreadsheet.

RainForest
04-27-2009, 02:17 AM
i see no .noborders anywhere in your html or your css: probably why it's not working
Yes, I know .noborders isn't in the URL I posted. That's why I said: (the above URL does not have the ".noborders" style applied)I asked the question based on what's happening on my machine locally. When I *do* apply .noborders, it doesn't work. I was looking for ideas as to why that might be so.

I can't seem to insert a table into my template and have it center in the page. I select center, the code *says* the table is centered, and it appears centered in DW, but when I preview it or make it live, it's left justified.This is my original question. Does anybody have an answer? The posted URL displays this problem...

domedia
04-27-2009, 05:39 AM
That not how it works.
See this tutorial:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.php

RainForest
04-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks, domedia. The link was really helpful. My design layouts are based on direction provided in the tutorial we purchased w/DW. I haven't had time to get back to working on the page yet, but will let you know how it goes. I think I'll have a follow on question about layout...