PDA

View Full Version : Website help

jamesuk
04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Guys and Girls first time on here just made the big switch from another design program to dreamweaver.

A little help please

After i have uploaded i visit the site but all that is displayed is the file names the index on the site page, if i click on the homepage text it comes up with the page.

How can i get it to load the site as soon as visitors arrive rather than the index

Thank You in advance

James

jamesuk
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
another thing im using dreamweaver CS3

pete
04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Create a index.htm page or index.html. If your server is unix then in the .htaccess add:

DirectoryIndex your_page.htmthat uses your_page.htm as the index.htm alternative.
You also should disable directory browsing which is obviously on, do this by adding in the .htaccess file:

Options -IndexesIf there is no .htaccess page in www/ or whatever your public directory is named (sometimes httpdocs or public_html) then create one, in SSH do:

touch .htaccess
Hi Guys and Girls first time on here just made the big switch from another design program to dreamweaver.

A little help please

After i have uploaded i visit the site but all that is displayed is the file names the index on the site page, if i click on the homepage text it comes up with the page.

How can i get it to load the site as soon as visitors arrive rather than the index

Thank You in advance

James

jamesuk
04-20-2009, 03:36 PM
pete

Thanks mate one thing how do you switch browser directory? ive added the rest so far

Thanks

James

pete
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Sorry I don't know what you mean, do you mean change directory?... if so the command is cd eg cd images/ will take you into the images/ directory if you had one.