PDA

View Full Version : Frontpage oldtimer...Dreamweaver newbie

Skywarrior
04-15-2009, 06:10 PM
I've run a web site for a non-profit for 10 years and have always used Frontpage. I know, I know, but I don't do code. I like drop and drag, cut and paste.

Well our hosting provider dumped (sold our account) us and we've been moved to a new server and lots of stuff is broken and we need to renew/refresh the web site anyway, so my hand has been forced.

How difficult will it be for me to open existing pages in Dreamweaver CS4, modify, resave, rebuild, and overhaul for a completely new look? I'm in my 60's with a short attention span, still working, not much free time and need to get this done pronto.

What am I looking at for a learning curve? To see the existing mess, go to... www.a3skywarrior.com (http://www.a3skywarrior.com)

Skywarrior.:confused:

Corrosive
04-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I've run a web site for a non-profit for 10 years and have always used Frontpage. I know, I know, but I don't do code. I like drop and drag, cut and paste.

Well our hosting provider dumped (sold our account) us and we've been moved to a new server and lots of stuff is broken and we need to renew/refresh the web site anyway, so my hand has been forced.

How difficult will it be for me to open existing pages in Dreamweaver CS4, modify, resave, rebuild, and overhaul for a completely new look? I'm in my 60's with a short attention span, still working, not much free time and need to get this done pronto.

What am I looking at for a learning curve? To see the existing mess, go to... www.a3skywarrior.com (http://www.a3skywarrior.com)

Skywarrior.:confused:

OK, the good news is that you should be able to connect to your hosts and download the pages into Dreamweaver with no real problem. That's where the good news ends though I'm afraid.

The site is built with frames which IMO is probably the hardest thing to get your head round. New websites should be built with HTML and CSS.

A complete redesign will be quite a steep learning curve to start with but you will enjoy it if you get into it.

Have a look round the tutorials and 'stickys' on this forum and then go further afield and learn all you can. Have you ever used Photoshop or similar graphic design program? Because that is as important as building the pages of your website.

We will help all we can :)

Good luck & welcome to the forum.

Skywarrior
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. You make it sound doable. I agree that frames are nasty. What is Dreamweavers version of frames or whatever they call it to have a banner and menus appear on every page of the site?

I use Paintshop Pro and consider myself fairly salty when it comes to "photoshopping".

I'm finding some Dreamweaver extensions from "EXTEND" that looks like it might make the menu creation process a little easier. Agreed?

Skywarrior

Corrosive
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. You make it sound doable.
of course it is :)

I agree that frames are nasty. What is Dreamweavers version of frames or whatever they call it to have a banner and menus appear on every page of the site?

You just include the menu and banner etc. on each page you build. Dreamweaver has a built in system called Templates which is probably the best place for you to start. Have a look at the tutorial on this site. Otherwise you can use something called 'Server Side Includes' and these are PHP pages with your consistent layout elements in them. Then they are linked in to each of your pages. Browsers will store the info about your menu, banner etc. so they won't really have to download on every new page. It will just say 'hey, this was in the last page so I'll use the info I already have about it'.

I use Paintshop Pro and consider myself fairly salty when it comes to "photoshopping".

I have no idea what 'fairly salty' means...I imagine it is quite good??

I'm finding some Dreamweaver extensions from "EXTEND" that looks like it might make the menu creation process a little easier. Agreed?

Maybe. Depends what you get. I tend to make my menus from pure HTML and CSS if I can. Quicker download time and usually much less hassle. Maybe look at Spry but people tend to have problems with Spry.

To be honest, you don't need bells and whistles for a nice clean site. Just an eye for design and some patience :wink:

edbr
04-16-2009, 02:12 AM
hi definitely dont use frames of even iframes (similar but tad better) for this. in your position i would say templates although includes i s maybe beter but if time is short maybe not at the moment
extensions can be more trouble thaan they are worth and as corrosive said spry will get you there we will help you if you run aground
welcome to the forum salty or not