PDA

View Full Version : Is this too slow ?

Rob_Che
04-10-2009, 11:07 AM
I've been building this for a friend and i wanted to make it as easy as possible to update as she regularly has images to upload. She's clueless with computers so I get the job of adding the images.

I'm using css to resize the ORIGINAL images as thumbs so the page takes a while to load.

Take a look and tell me what you think (it isn't finished yet, don't laugh !)

EDIT: site URL: www.lucky-stripe.com/NEW

Cheers
Rob

Corrosive
04-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I've been building this for a friend and i wanted to make it as easy as possible to update as she regularly has images to upload. She's clueless with computers so I get the job of adding the images.

I'm using css to resize the ORIGINAL images as thumbs so the page takes a while to load.

Take a look and tell me what you think (it isn't finished yet, don't laugh !)

EDIT: site URL: www.lucky-stripe.com/NEW

Cheers
Rob

Ha ha. Was just about to ask you for a link!

It's not too slow here mate. The top images load fine and the other thumbs have loaded by the time I have scrolled down. Don't fret it. Love that 1950s scooter. ***k the Turner Prize...that is art.

Rob_Che
04-10-2009, 11:58 AM
haha... it is a beauty... I wish it was mine. How the Doncaster people would take to it is a another question!?

Glad it worked OK for you... Most of the poulation have broadband now don't they ? The target audience should anyway...

Corrosive
04-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Most of the poulation have broadband now don't they ? The target audience should anyway...

I'd have thunk so mate.

pete
04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Not slow for me, I'm on a 2MB line. Very nice site, excellent design and graphics, I bet your client is very pleased.

Rob_Che
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Cheers Pete - it's a freebie for a friend so I'm trying not to spend too much time on it - It hasn't worked though, I think I'm getting a bit OCD about the design.

I'm even using the DW standard .js rollovers rather than css. Lazy Lazy :)

domedia
04-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Not impressed with the download time of the page, but it wasn't so long I got irritated.
The page slows down my browser though. The greybox hardly worked, it came up really slow. Aren't DJ teaching you how to generate thumbnails? ;) If not you should check it out.

Rob_Che
04-12-2009, 06:30 PM
yeah - the lightbox is really slow - it seemed to be like that when i tested it with one image though - i wonder why?. maybe it's loading over the thumbs that it doesnt like?

I'll keep testing - I'm not happy with it yet.

Cheers DoMedia
Rob

Rob_Che
04-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Ok - change of tactic... www.lucky-stripe.com/NEW (http://www.lucky-stripe.com/NEW)

Corrosive
04-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Ok - change of tactic... www.lucky-stripe.com/NEW (http://www.lucky-stripe.com/NEW)

Yeah, that is probably a better approach mate. Much quicker download and still clear what/where the galleries are. 8-)

domedia
04-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Much better, like it.
You could probably optimize those heavier PNG's a little as well... you know for those guys on the farm with the dialup ;)

Corrosive
04-15-2009, 01:51 PM
you know for those guys on the farm with the dialup ;)

Do you think I could get my tractor pin-striped? I'd be the envy of the South West :wink:

d a v e
04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
loaded quickly for me in Finland and i'm on just a on 1mb ;)

nice site but you also need to adjust your levels on some of those pics to balance the contrast - in particular the bike petrol tank (though in the gallery it's looking pretty good) maybe you're still working on that though :)

Rob_Che
04-15-2009, 07:57 PM
loaded quickly for me in Finland and i'm on just a on 1mb ;)

nice site but you also need to adjust your levels on some of those pics to balance the contrast - in particular the bike petrol tank (though in the gallery it's looking pretty good) maybe you're still working on that though :)
Cheers Dave - the bike tank isn't far off actually - theothers will most likely comedown to meet it but it wil get some more texture to looklike an old desaturated photo... we'll see. As you say, still playing :)

d a v e
05-07-2009, 08:08 PM
What is your favorite Class/Template in WoW?

some people are just sad little f*ckers aren't they!