PDA

View Full Version : Recession - Has it hit you hard?

cocoonfx
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Hello Chaps

I am just trying to workout what this recession is all about.... I was too young to be effected by the last one in the 90's but everyone freelance/ self employed person is busy than ever.... (This is the case in the West Midlands).

I have not lost one customer and gaining a lot of new business.

Has anyone else noticed a downturn or losing customers etc....?

Corrosive
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
It's an unknown as to how this recession will effect the online world. The one in the early 90s was well before the .com boom and all that went with it and came after it. We have found that customer's are looking to strengthen their online presence, are smarter with what they want and are more willing to embrace new routes to market. We have not been effected so far... but you never know.

I wouldn't want to be in TV advertising at the moment! The online side is taking traditional marketing channels to the cleaners.

davidj
04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
I expect retailers will be concentrating / investing in e-commerce and possibly downsizing their high street presence. This leads to a demand in developers.

I get 3 calls a week or so regarding contract work!

If there is a down turn in the Dev sector then I expect that contractors will benefit as its more beneficial for the businesses.

domedia
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
I live in Michigan.. nuff said..

I just overheard someone last week saying that the marketing industry has been hit hard as well, except one portion of it; online marketing.

You'd think some businesses would try to funnel more of their business online to compensate for losing traditional sales.

davidj
04-08-2009, 03:41 PM
i visualise a website like a high street shop but with very little rental costs and the whole world is potentially using the pavement outside!

Corrosive
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
i visualise a website like a high street shop but with very little rental costs and the whole world is potentially using the pavement outside!

Bit of a sad outlook for the high street though. Soon it will just be Starbucks and 'trendy' flats.

davidj
04-08-2009, 03:51 PM
no reason for a starbucks really

cant think of anything which would fill the void.

our dysfunctional families are too smacked off their tits to use the internet so tracksuit vendors and cheap jewelry I'm afraid

edbr
04-09-2009, 02:05 AM
in the last recession in UK , it was different in that it was not as widespread as this is.
two thing seem to happen in hard times, this was also true during the tourist drought we had in Bali due to terrorism,bird flu ,Sars and tsunami fears. lso being in the employment business
companies look for accountants and marketing staff.
Logically bean counters will trim the fat from budgets where they can and marketers will spend as much of there buget as possible.
In a good market more spending is allocated for 'branding' it is not always (rarely) possible to evaluate the return from this but what the hell. In tight times more attention is spent on the sums.
if an adverising campain coats $20000 will this return me 20,000 customers buying my product where i make $1.50 a piece.
never mind the long term effect, we can worry about that when times improve.
Internet is perceived as relatively cheap marketing so why not do it.
I have noticed here there are more email campaigns than ever and as far as businesses opening websites again its a cheap alternative, im sure though many expect to arrive on googles first page for all keywords as soon as the ink dries on the cheque.
It looks like this is going to be a long haul and i think the small businesses are going to change there attitude after SEO marketers have finished with them " I can guarantee you first place ranking for only......." types.

cocoonfx
04-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Just going on Edbr comments on SEO marketing, i actually think this is where there will be growth.

pamay
04-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I live in a popular holiday resort on the coast of NSW Australia and it is school holidays which took in Easter, quite noticeable the caravan parks are only half full, you can park at the shopping centre and there are sales on everywhere.

Corrosive
04-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I live in a popular holiday resort on the coast of NSW Australia and it is school holidays which took in Easter, quite noticeable the caravan parks are only half full, you can park at the shopping centre and there are sales on everywhere.

The motorway down past us the last couple of weeks have certainly seemed busy enough but I guess a 'local' holiday in Oz means a lot more travelling than in the UK. Short breaks abroad have been replaced with day trips and jaunts down to Devon/Cornwall/Dorset etc. As for sales in the shops they haven't really ended after the January sales. We have also lost quiet a few big, high street names even during the first few months of the recession. Makes you kinda wonder what kind of thread they were hanging by anyway!

edbr
04-23-2009, 01:21 AM
woolworths should have changed or closed years ago for one. recwessions do clean out deadwood.
so far Bali is keping its head up with visitors. Jan and Feb were bad hotels running 20-30%, villas were in many cases empty but forward bookings are pretty good in many cases matching last year. of course cancellations are possible but many have already paid. its odd but sio far so good. feels like the sword of damacles though, could drop any time

domedia
04-23-2009, 01:24 PM
News from the front..
The unemployment rate in Michigan hit 12.6% at the end of March. DJ, still wanna come over?

davidj
04-23-2009, 01:36 PM
was looking for a change a while ago and the US was on the list

Probably because i hate this shite hole (england as a whole) where i live so it was mainly down to that rather than the American Dream.

Contract market seems untouched. There is still a demand as i get a couple of calls a week

DWcourse
04-29-2009, 11:31 PM
We've gotten nailed fairly good in the midwest. My first quarter sucked but fortunately I was in a position you use the time on my own projects without going under. Things have picked up the last month or so and now I'm fighting for time to complete the personal projects I started.

My friends in the graphic design and print publication fields are really hurting however. A chunk of the work I'm doing now is subcontracting for them because their clients are moving to the web.