PDA

View Full Version : a tiny gap in when viewed in ie!

mark225
04-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi all,
I've recently returned to website design after a few years out (after an unexpected redundancy), and I'm doing my best to learn css, but was presented with a fairly straightforward job recently, so in order to get it done I reverted to my old habits of imageready slices and dreamweaver editing!

Anyway - I usually use firefox as my browser and throughout the development I tested in that, then while approaching the final stages I checked it in internet explorer and found a tiny gap (it looks about 1 pixel high - just above the "home" section of the menu).
It only appears in IE and I was hoping that someone on the forum might be able to tell me how to correct it? I appreciate that this wouldn't be an issue if I used CSS, but I'm not quite confident enough with it yet. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it! I can't see anything obvious in the code.....
oh yeah: the site is at http://www.glasgowresidents.co.uk/

Many thanks,
Mark

imCraig
04-07-2009, 11:49 PM
The problem is being caused by your email registration form. IE is rendering it a pixel or two taller than other browsers and is pushing the entire table row down.

Here's a quick fix: With the div that is wrapping the form code, use this as the opening tag <div align="center" style="height: 65px; overflow: hidden;"> Craig

mark225
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
thanks Craig -
I tried it out, but it seems to stop the page loading half way down the main logo!:
http://glasgowresidents.co.uk/about2.html

edbr
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
validate it.
there is no doctype and several warnings and errors are given

imCraig
04-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Mark, you need to move the code to this location:

<div align="center" style="height: 65px; overflow: hidden;">
<form name="address1" method="post" action="subscribe.php">
<input name="address1" type="text" id="address1" value="add your email here" size="20" maxlength="60">
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Subscribe">
</form>
</div>Don't forget to remove it from where it is now!

Also, you should follow EDBR's advice.

mark225
04-09-2009, 10:47 AM
thanks edbr and Craig, you're stars! - I've validated the page and got rid of the errors, and implemented Craig's code and it seems to fix the problem: http://glasgowresidents.co.uk/aboutc.html
so thankyou very much for your help.

I tried adding a doctype but the one I chose decimated the table layout! Should I just be using a standard basic HTML doctype, I'm afraid to admit that I've never bothered in the past!
thanks again

domedia
04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
All documents need a doctype, it's not optional.

mark225
04-09-2009, 04:24 PM
All documents need a doctype, it's not optional.
edit!:
so if it's not optional, does dreamweaver (or the browser) automatically assign the lowest common denominator?
the site seems to be working fairly well now, so I'd be hesitant to add anything else unnecessarily...
I looked up doctypes and given the relatively old-fashioned way I put the site together, I can't really see the benefit...
I might have a go at a decent css version to see how my learning is coming along, but surely if it works, I should probably leave whats online now alone?

d a v e
04-09-2009, 04:39 PM
you can choose what you want as a default in the preferences under 'new documnet' i think it defaults to xhtml transitional, but a strict doctype is preferable if you know how to code well enough

mark225
04-09-2009, 04:52 PM
aah, I generally just stick with the default html setting when creating a new document, or use the html that imageready outputs as a starting point, unfortunately, my coding skills aren't good enough for me to give up the dreamweaver gui yet, so maybe I need to do more reading on xhtml...
I'm using a fairly old version of dreamweaver too (the original mx) and my imageready is CS2, so I doubt what I'm producing from combining the two is up to date with current web standards anyway....
thanks for the reply.